Jump to content
LaunchBox Community Forums
ckp

Dolphin Wii and GC per game settings

Recommended Posts

For Dolphin games launched by LB, how do you use per game settings (wii and GC) and controller type (wii)?

Do you just have to add all your games to the Dolphin emulator gui and set them in there and when they are launched by LB, those settings will just get used?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is correct, just set your settings using the Dolphin UI and they should load with the rom as long as you are using the same install you made the settings in and not another install.

If you move over to a new install just copy over the \user\GameSettings folder from your Dolphin install folder to the new one.

At least this is my theory on how it would work by looking at it ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the Wii and Gamecube in Dolphin it's a little complicated.  For the Wii I made several custom controller config profiles and named them things like Wilmote, Wiimote Sideways, Classic Controller, etc.  Then you have to go into the individual gameini for each game and add the command for it to use a certain game controller profile, otherwise Dolphin will just load whatever game controller profile is currently in it.  Also, I believe the gameini's are listed by the game's number ID, I think you have to click on the game in the Dolphin UI and look at "properties"? (it's been awhile since I did it) to find it's ID number.

Here's a link with all the commands listed that you can add to the gameini's: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-unofficial-howto-using-gameini-settings-per-game

 

The good news is once you do all that Dolphin will load everything automatically for each game and you don't have to do anything in Launchbox.

Edited by madpossum
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went back and looked:

The gameini's are in your main Dolphin folder > Sys > Gamesettings.  Most game's IDs are already listed in the folder, I did, however have to make a new ini file for a couple of my games.  To find the gameID you go to the Dolphin GUI, select the game, right click, click on properties, then go to the "info" tab in the Properties box that comes up.

 

One thing to keep in mind, since this is in your main Dolphin folder, if you update your Dolphin install make sure to copy the gamesettings folder first so you don't have to do all of this over again (the controller profiles are saved in your Documents folder, at least for me, so they should be safe, just need to copy the gameini's).  In fact, I have a copy of the "Gamesettings" folder saved somewhere else, just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @madpossum, so you do have to add the games to the Dolphin UI then. I saw the game ini files in the Sys\Gamesettings folder even without any games in my Dolphin UI, so I'm assuming/hoping that means the Dolphin devs have already set known good game specific settings (which would be great).

My ini files have shorter letter/number based names making it hard to know which one is for which game, so I guess I'll have to check the Dolphin UI to match them up once I add them to the UI.

I'll add the games to my Dolphin UI and try this out. Mostly I want to set emulated classic controller or emulated nunchuck depending on which one the games work with.

I want to use my xbox one wireless controller for all the Wii (GC is not a problem) games i can use it for without manually flipping the nunchuck/classic setting.

Can you give me a specific example of how the setting would look inside the game's ini file? It's not clear to me by the link you noted.

Thanks for the help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem.

I did a quick google search and found a list of Wii game IDs if you don't want to use the Dolphin UI:  http://crysweb.altervista.org/wiigameids/

 

Here's an example of my No More Heroes 2 gameini (it's titled RUY but the game ID is RUYE41, something to look out for, and like I said earlier I ran into a couple of games that weren't already in folder that I had to make myself):

 

# RUYE41 - No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

[Core]
# Values set here will override the main Dolphin settings.

[EmuState]
# The Emulation State. 1 is worst, 5 is best, 0 is not set.
EmulationStateId = 4
EmulationIssues = Small graphical glitch with light saber (light stays at the same place for a second when you move)

[OnLoad]
# Add memory patches to be loaded once on boot here.

[OnFrame]
# Add memory patches to be applied every frame here.

[ActionReplay]
# Add action replay cheats here.


[Controls]
WiimoteProfile1 = classic controller

 

I added the [Controls] section, everything else was already there, I just added it to the bottom of the ini.  You add [Controls], hit enter, then underneath WiimoteProfile1 = whatever you named the profile you want to use.  If it's a multiplayer game you have make a separate profile for each one and add a line for each one in the ini.  Example:

[Controls]
WiimoteProfile1 = classic controller
WiimoteProfile2 = classic controller2
WiimoteProfile3 = classic controller3

Remember that capitalization and everything must be exact.  Hope this helps!

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it all figured out with your help. Thanks a bunch! In the course of this I also found that Dolphin was saving these settings among many others to my Windows user profile folder. I found out how to change that in the registry so you can move it all to the same folder where you have dolphin installed so it's more "portable".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh boy, the Wii controller stuff is beating me up, having to set specific settings for so many games with my xbox controllers. but my kids like Wii games, so this is a torture  i will have to endure :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL, I know it takes awhile, but it's worth it to just be able to boot the game and not worry about controller configs.  Make sure you make a copy of that folder when you're done, just in case, trust me it sucks if you have to do that all over again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well guys maybe we could share the controller profiles and the .ini for the wii games so we could save some time i will upload some that i have made myself later:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ckp said:

oh boy, the Wii controller stuff is beating me up, having to set specific settings for so many games with my xbox controllers. but my kids like Wii games, so this is a torture  i will have to endure :)

 

 

1 hour ago, madpossum said:

LOL, I know it takes awhile, but it's worth it to just be able to boot the game and not worry about controller configs.  Make sure you make a copy of that folder when you're done, just in case, trust me it sucks if you have to do that all over again!

Well guys maybe we could share the controller profiles and the .ini for the wii games so we could save some time i will upload some that i have made myself later:D

What do you think about that ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a VERY long way off. Problem is that my settings probably aren't what a lot of people would use for their mappings. I don't even know if I'm mapping everything that is needed for each game. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2016 at 10:29 PM, madpossum said:

No problem.

I did a quick google search and found a list of Wii game IDs if you don't want to use the Dolphin UI:  http://crysweb.altervista.org/wiigameids/

 

Here's an example of my No More Heroes 2 gameini (it's titled RUY but the game ID is RUYE41, something to look out for, and like I said earlier I ran into a couple of games that weren't already in folder that I had to make myself):

 

# RUYE41 - No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle

[Core]
# Values set here will override the main Dolphin settings.

[EmuState]
# The Emulation State. 1 is worst, 5 is best, 0 is not set.
EmulationStateId = 4
EmulationIssues = Small graphical glitch with light saber (light stays at the same place for a second when you move)

[OnLoad]
# Add memory patches to be loaded once on boot here.

[OnFrame]
# Add memory patches to be applied every frame here.

[ActionReplay]
# Add action replay cheats here.


[Controls]
WiimoteProfile1 = classic controller

 

I added the [Controls] section, everything else was already there, I just added it to the bottom of the ini.  You add [Controls], hit enter, then underneath WiimoteProfile1 = whatever you named the profile you want to use.  If it's a multiplayer game you have make a separate profile for each one and add a line for each one in the ini.  Example: 

[Controls]
WiimoteProfile1 = classic controller
WiimoteProfile2 = classic controller2
WiimoteProfile3 = classic controller3

Remember that capitalization and everything must be exact.  Hope this helps!

 

Will this work with a Xbox One controller?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...