LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch Not Working With LaunchBox

Flintz

Hi there,

Whenever I try to play any Arcade games, specifically Wrestlefest, when I click to play, Retroarch opens up and then shuts down saying that it stopped working.  Then I get put back into the Launchbox main screen.  I've tried re-importing the rom and redoing the settings, updating Retroarch with both the nightly and stable versions AND loading the core needed to run the game and it still doesn't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this problem?  Has anyone had a similar problem with Retroarch?

First thing you always need to do is check to see if the games are working in Retroarch (or any emulator) outside of Launchbox. If they aren't working then you need to solve that issue first and in the case of Mame it could be a rom set and Retroarch Mame is more picky over it's rom sets than stand alone Mame.

Do you know what romset version you are using ?

What Mame core are you using ?

If your games are working outside of Launchbox then things get easier to troubleshoot and most likely a simple configuration issue in Launchbox.

I just tried to use Retroarch outside of Launchbox and it opens, but when I go to select that specific rom, it crashes the program.  So I tried a different rom of the same game and got the same result.  The version of MAME I'm using on Retroarch is "MAME 2016".  As for the romset, I grabbed the 0.149 version. 

I'm assuming that could be the problem?

Try the Mame 2014 core first and then the 2010 core. The 2014 core is based off of Mame 159 and the 2010 core is based off 139.

If you can though I would recommend getting a 178 or newer romset and using the stand alone version of Mame. Version 178 is very nice for now and requires a 178 or newer romset because of some changes in the Capcom CPS2 roms and emulation. Mame 182 is due out soon and has some very nice sound latency improvements which Retroarch won't have right away and maybe not at all.

Stand alone is it's own emulator outside of Retroarch. The way RA works is they take open source emulators and build their own "core" from the code and the core is then the emulator in Retroarch and uses Retroarchs UI and some other features like shaders and audio sync among others.

Often the Retroarch core is better than the stand alones they are based off of but sometimes the stand alones are better. Mame and PPSSPP are good examples of the stand alones being better than the RA core versions.