LaunchBox Community Forums

.182 Merged or Non merged ..which works best for Launchbox as per the tutorial?

shaolin95

Hello guys!

Dont need a huge explanation but I got merged set first and now I am wondering if non merged would have been better for Launchbox setup as per your tutorial. I believe I heard one of your videos saying something pro Non Merged but perhaps I misunderstood.

Thanks!

non-merged and split should work the same in LB its just that the non-merged contain a ton of redundant data. If a game has 12 clones every single one of them will come with the parent included in the archive unlike the split where the parent will be in its own archive and the clone will only contain the files that aren't included with the parent.

• Like 1

In terms of .182, I downloaded a fresh split set and it was broken. Split has been my go to recommendation since MAME .164 to MAME .181, but since it seemed to be broken in .182 so I suggest non-merged (at least for now).

Edit: Also, merged has never worked in LaunchBox, it doesn't import properly and I believe our data has always been based on a full set of roms, aka split set. Non-mergerd is a combination of the two. All roms are merged for the best possible compatibility, but all the roms are still split.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information guys. Dummy me I ended up downloading the merged which is the only one not recommended here :D
Well, I will finish downloading the non merged ones since the split one for .182 is broken it seems.

So I will just go to the Arcade, click on a game and CTRL+A to delete all then import the Non Merged ones and hopefully it will see all the current downloaded media. Correct           

1 hour ago, Malhavoc said:

Split set broken? Didn't seem to me when I got it.. what did you find broken?

Several games missing dependencies. The one example I give was doa2a being 3mb in the new split, when it was 108mb in the old split set. I've also seen tons of other reports of users with broken files, and they seem to be using .182 split. I mean "broken", it was most likely an error, but I don't know what to think about it.

39 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

Several games missing dependencies. The one example I give was doa2a being 3mb in the new split, when it was 108mb in the old split set. I've also seen tons of other reports of users with broken files, and they seem to be using .182 split. I mean "broken", it was most likely an error, but I don't know what to think about it.

I've checked doa2a, and it's indeed 3mb, but I've also noticed that it's marked as clone (like doa2, also counting 3mb), but the ROM marked as parent, doa2m (dead or alive 2 millenium), is correctly 108MB.

Don't know how it was in 0.181, but here everything seems there and also correctly archived, with most files in the parent ROM. Are you saying doa2 should actually be the parent one, or what else? Unfortunately the game is non-working anyway, so can't really check if the zips work or not.

Edited by Malhavoc

doa2m should be a different game all together. doa2m should be a clone technically as it's a different version? So, maybe there is just an error I came across, but .182 split seems to be giving lots of users errors. doa2 works just fine in Naomi, which is how I came across the issue.

5 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

yeah doa2m is the parent but it is still the same size 3mb I have a 0.1820full set rebuilt with CLRMAMEPro from 0.181 and it didn't change the size of my file.

I redownloaded .182, and I assure you that doa2m is 108mb here. Maybe some issues with the CLRMAMEPro rebuild?

@SentaiBrad: Maybe .182 has shuffled some parent/clone relationship, and that's what feels broken, especially if using an emulator which is not the official MAME build?

Edited by Malhavoc

Yes, with Mame 182, doa2m has become the parent, and doa2 is now a clone. The other clone doa2a is unaffected.

In a nutshell doa2.zip has been renamed as doa2m.zip and vice-versa, with the following changes.

The file doa2verm.ic22 has moved from the old doa2m clone to the new doa2m parent.
And the file epr-22207.ic22 has moved from the old doa2 parent to the new doa2 clone.

Out of curiosity, I tried this out manually, using 181 version roms, and they both now pass an audit with Mame 182.