LaunchBox Community Forums

Adding MAME CHD's to Launchbox

quazl

I just switched to my PS4 controller to control retorarch. I also watched ETA Prime's seemingly excellent tutorial. Same issues. This time I used his method to scan the ROMS folder I have. In his video, it scans the whole damn thing, finds all of his games of course, and places them nicely together. It scan mine and comes up with nothing. Go figure. Once again, another seemingly simple process that is just not working.

Any ideas? 

Thanks

James

Do you have a full rom set or just a small collection of certain games you chose?

Can you share a pic of the folder the roms are in? Just a snap of some of the rom files in the folder. Just grasping at straws here. Mame itself is pretty easy to get working if you have good roms and do a few things to setup Mame. Retroarch is pretty easy as well, but might take maybe a couple extra steps. 

1 hour ago, thejamestownoasis said:

1. How do I get my X Stick working?

Xarcade stick right? Get it to work in what Retroarch or Mame?

11 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Do you have a full rom set or just a small collection of certain games you chose?

Can you share a pic of the folder the roms are in? Just a snap of some of the rom files in the folder. Just grasping at straws here. Mame itself is pretty easy to get working if you have good roms and do a few things to setup Mame. Retroarch is pretty easy as well, but might take maybe a couple extra steps. 

Xarcade stick right? Get it to work in what Retroarch or Mame?

Sure, thanks for the help. Please see the pics. I'm trying to get the Arcade Stick working in Arch. I finally gave up and just plugged in a ps4 controller. Honestly, I'm not terribly impressed with Arch, thus far. Launchbox and Emu Station look much more elegant and user-friendly. I'm still trying to understand the attraction with it: simply that you can access multiple emulators for multiple systems? Don't most of the better emus pretty much run 99% of the games?

Thanks so much for the help- I am absolutely flabbergasted that I have not got this working.

James

mame7.JPG

mame8.JPG

Edited by thejamestownoasis

Try changing that folder name of yours to something shorter and simply. Like Mame193. Since it is a subfolder of your roms folder you already know they are roms. I am not saying that is causing and issue, but I have had long or odd named folders cause issues before. 

Can you share a pic of the folder you have MameUI in. Like you did with the roms just a snap of files inside. 

Change that rom folder name and then go back into MameUI and set the rom path to that new name. Share a pic of the directories menu in Mame showing the new folder path.  

5 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Try changing that folder name of yours to something shorter and simply. Like Mame193. Since it is a subfolder of your roms folder you already know they are roms. I am not saying that is causing and issue, but I have had long or odd named folders cause issues before. 

Can you share a pic of the folder you have MameUI in. Like the roms just a snap of files inside. 

Change that rom folder name and then go back into MameUI and set the rom path to that new name. Share a pic of the directories menu in Mame showing the new folder path.  

Feel free to laugh, but I deleted MAMEUI- I didn't. I'll get the pic. But really, especially for me, would it just be easier to get MAMEUI WORKING at some point and then just load it into LB rather than Retro? Just a question. I'll change that rom folder now. 

James

Yes, just go back to Mame. 

Download it. Set the rom path to that newly named folder. Run the audit. Then share a few pics. 

1. The folder you have MameUI in. 

2. The folder you have the roms in with the new name. 

3. In the MameUI after you set the rom path snap of pic of that screen in the MameUI showing the new rom path. 

2 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Go back to available. I see 10-yard fight is green in one of your pics. Try and run that game. 

You're right, it is in green and I did get IT to work yday and today. And that's it, lol. Also understand that the list you see is about a couple hundred lines long- at most. there may be 10 other bizarre titles in green, also. 

Should I be going under "file' and "auditing" or "refreshing"? When I click "working" by the way, I see all the games show, but they are all in black, of course. Could there be an issue with this being on my second internal SSD? File privileges in windows? Just hoping for something, anywhere.

8 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

File > Refresh Roms

Well if 10 Yard Fight ran then your set-up is good. Refresh the roms and see what available looks like. A lot of those games in the one pic should be green if you have a full rom set and it is not junk. 

Refreshed. Unchanged. From the outset I questioned my ROM set as this process just seemed too straightforward to have such terrible results. It was NOT easy for a noob like me to find 193, never mind 200, given the new, ankle-grabbing rom landscape. Do I take a shot on another 60 gig download? I also wonder if I just should have started with NES and SNES rom sets...but I guess they are all just an emulator and a set of roms in the end. I hope I have not wasted the last 2 days jkn around all the while with a lead ballon of a rom set. 

Just now, thejamestownoasis said:

And I don't need to / does it help me...to have the roms in the MAEUI roms folder? Again, that's what ETA Prime did in his video and he able to play them right away.

Roms can be pretty much anywhere you like as long as you go into MameUI > Directories and point to that folder. 

Not sure where you got that set (please do not post where per the rules) but you definitley got Mame set up and running at least 10 yard fight. Why so many are not showing available is odd to me. I would lean towards bad roms as well.

• 2 weeks later...