LaunchBox Community Forums

Adding MAME CHD's to Launchbox

quazl

1 minute ago, DOS76 said:

That means you don't have the right files in your set.

Of course. He states specficially in the tutorial that you can download the latest MAMEUI, you just may lose some of the newer games.

Surely I just now download the "proper" MAMEUI version .193 rather than another 60 gig file (that I couldn't find in the first place)? 

Thanks- I just knew this wouldn't work.

James

7 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Yeah you don't always have to have the matching rom set for your MAME version but its best to have it.

Understood, but absolutely ZERO of the games in the list are indicating they would work. Going from 193 to 200 would render the whole set dead, lol?

So now, download ver 193 and go through the process again?

thanks

James

Edited by thejamestownoasis

4 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

I'm confused which set do you have and what emulator version are you using

I have the 193 romset and the 200 mameui. Again, I only did the latter because the tutorial clearly said the mameui version wouldn't matter, I would just lose any added games between 193 and 200.

I swear! I honestly thought the two had to basically match....the rom set and mameui version, until johnny tutorial said otherwise.

Sorry, I see what I did above, it should have said 193 to 200, obviously, I corrected it. So going just 7 versions up renders all the games in 193 inoperable? 

James

I'd try to find MAMEUI 0.193 if you can find it. Getting the MAME 0.200 set is probably going to be problematic since PleasureDome stopped taking new people. Although most games from 193 should work in 200 so maybe you have something else not setup correctly. Try going into your ini folder in MAMEUI and move the MAME.ini file out into the root folder with the .exe

2 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

I'd try to find MAMEUI 0.193 if you can find it. Getting the MAME 0.200 set is probably going to be problematic since PleasureDome stopped taking new people. Although most games from 193 should work in 200 so maybe you have something else not setup correctly. Try going into your ini folder in MAMEUI and move the MAME.ini file out into the root folder with the .exe

ok, this is what is in my ini folder...I'm pretty confident I have something else wrong. SOME of these games should play, right? I didn't unzip my roms, this what they look like in my mameui "roms' folder...

mame3.JPG

mame4.JPG

this is becoming a bit maddening. I could not find mameui- at least not somewhere where I felt safe downloading it- so I downloaded mame .193 Was a bear to get working at all. Kept getting "Fatal error: Fatal error: Too many live texture instances" googled and found to switch audio from "auto" to "gdi" ...that solved that problem but now every game I pick reads that it's not working or cannot find the rom.

This really cannot be this difficult. Multiple tutorials have it up and running in under 10 minutes.

ugh.

James

12 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Ok, thanks...I'm running out of gas here, there's only so many hours one can spend with zero success. So I downloaded "your" version of mameui. I took my romset and moved it into the "roms' folder of your mameui. I then opened the app and saw this...can you tell what is next before I mess something up, please? Again, in the tutorial, he clearly simply adds the roms to the mameui roms folder, opens the app, and begins playing the games.

Thanks so much, just frustrated as hell right now

James

MAME6.JPG

That is the UI part of MAMEUI the left part shows all the different options you can sort by and by the fact you have all those green colors there it seems to indicate it see the games where they are supposed to be. go down to working on the left and have it sort by that then pick a game in green and click it and see if it launches.

40 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

That is the UI part of MAMEUI the left part shows all the different options you can sort by and by the fact you have all those green colors there it seems to indicate it see the games where they are supposed to be. go down to working on the left and have it sort by that then pick a game in green and click it and see if it launches.

The problem is there are no “games” in green. There are oddly-labeled “filenames” in green on the right but the center column are “machines” and yield nothing when clicked- even after clicking “working”. 

If you were sitting here it would be so much more clear how screwed I am lol. I’ve never had such an issue getting something going- never mind something that should take 5 minutes.

what a nightmare.

James

At what point do I start suspecting my ROM set? I just don’t know what to do at this point.

PLACE ROMS (zipped) in MAMEUI ROMS folder

Open MAMEUI

audit

how complicated can this be?

Is it an issue that I have my ROMS and MAMEUI on the new, seperate, 512gig ssd I installed? Drive D?

trying desperately to figure this out.

thanks

James

4 hours ago, thejamestownoasis said:

At what point do I start suspecting my ROM set? I just don’t know what to do at this point.

PLACE ROMS (zipped) in MAMEUI ROMS folder

Open MAMEUI

how complicated can this be?

is having my roms and mameui on a separate (internal) ssd an issue?

desparate.

thanks

james

Maybe you should stop here right now and basically do, what I did. Testing out different emulators. The quickest way in my opinion is to go with retroarch in the first place. If you still want to go with mameui in the long run, you can do this afterwards. So just reread my posts from a few days ago.

Setting up retroarch makes you very flexible in the long run. And you can always choose an individual emulator for a specific platform later, when the platform is basically running under retroarch. So invest a little time in setting up retroarch correctly. Then download all mame and fba cores from within retroarch. Make them available through launchbox. And then you are pretty quick in testing out, if there is an issue with the emulator.

There are some current turorials form the launchbox team and also from eta prime. Invest about an hour and you should have retroarch up and running.

16 minutes ago, meloMini said:

Maybe you should stop here right now and basically do, what I did. Testing out different emulators. The quickest way in my opinion is to go with retroarch in the first place. If you still want to go with mameui in the long run, you can do this afterwards. So just reread my posts from a few days ago.

Setting up retroarch makes you very flexible in the long run. And you can always choose an individual emulator for a specific platform later, when the platform is basically running under retroarch. So invest a little time in setting up retroarch correctly. Then download all mame and fba cores from within retroarch. Make them available through launchbox. And then you are pretty quick in testing out, if there is an issue with the emulator.

There are some current turorials form the launchbox team and also from eta prime. Invest about an hour and you should have retroarch up and running.

Thanks- I’m already up to ten (hours) so what’s another hour, lol?

I’m smarter than I’m coming across in these posts- I have followed eta prime’s mameui tutorial to a tee and it just doesn’t seem to matter.

guess I’ll give retroarch a shot now.

thanks

James

15 hours ago, meloMini said:

Ok 2:53 CST ...start the clock, lol.

EDIT: Was at work and had to stop. Starting now at 6:28, lol.

James

here we go lol. Followed the directions to the letter- by the way, I'm using my Arcade stick for the controller and I can only use the joystick for direction- none of the buttons work to "confirm" or "go back" so I"m using my mouse. Anyway, directed the file browser to my rom folder. Loaded the mame emulator, went to load my ROMS...and they are all zip files.

Please:

1. How do I get my X Stick working?

2. How do I get this to see my games and not my files? I do NOT unzip the files still, correct?

Thanks

James