LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME game runs in MAME64 but not in LaunchBox

Dave B.

That is very odd if all your games are working in Mame outside of and inside Launchbox but one game is not working through Launchbox.

Did you change the setting for that one game like to a different emulator by any chance ? I have done that in the past and been like "WTF !? Why won't this one game work ?" only to realize I changed something to test and forgot to change it back.

Lordmonkus, no I haven't changed the emulator used to run this one. I was looking at that possibility to make it work but couldn't find a way to do it. Is there a way? I noticed in an early install with an older version of MAME, perhaps .156, I couldn't get a rom to run in MAME but it would run in MAMEUI (through LaunchBox).

Hi @Dave B.

Punchout (the parent set and each of it's 3 clones) plays fine for me through LaunchBox.
I noticed in your opening post that you mentioned punchout.rar
I haven't come across MAME game sets using this extension before, but if MAME outside of LaunchBox plays it then it must be as valid as zip or 7z.
All I can suggest is you source the game elsewhere and see how things go.

When running split or non-merged, there should be nothing special you need to do at all. Merged just doesn't have everything as it's merged to make it as small as possible (though split isn't honestly much bigger for .182), and because of that you may need multiple imports with LB to get the games you want. With split, and by extension non-merged, all of the files are available so when you run the import, it sees everything it should.

• 1 year later...

Exact same issue here, all games working in Mame from command line but in Launchbox had several games refusing to run. Copied Mame to my C: drive and now all games work.

My Launchbox folder is located on my D: drive so its not that it likes Mame on the same drive as Launchbox, it likes it on the C: drive

Edited by Traffik