LaunchBox Community Forums

How to pronounce "RetroArch"?

nathanddrews

How to pronounce "RetroArch"?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce "RetroArch"?

• Arch as in Architect
    • Arch as in Noah's Ark

Maybe part of the bad rep is the forums. It can go both ways. I've met some nice folks, but I don't think it's a coincidence that you see so many people asking RA questions on other forums. I know absolutely nothing about the devs, but that they made something awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Honestly, i can't actually remember which one off the top of my head since it was a while ago nor would I name drop because I am not in the business of complaining like a little girl about someone who hurt my feelings. I mean, if I were I would take up being an SJW or some such nonsense. Sorry i even brought it up, I was just trying to make light of it and clearly it backfired some. :D

I don't think it backfired. I was genuinely interested. I have had, in course, reason to communicate directly with the Rocketlaunch devs, Jason, Circo from emumovies, but that's the extent of my brush with emulation superstars. Everyone likes a backstory. I don't personally give shit one about open sourced vs, but then I'm not savvy enough to contribute shit.

I get that. I mostly didn't want to go and derail the whole thread bashing on RA for personal reasons, I only wanted to have a little fun with it. Either way, yeah. I mean, as a general rule, I have had contact with a BUNCH of DEVs over my years of working with emulation. I think Jason is clearly one of if not the most awesome of the whole bunch. The Dolphin DEVs are also super cool. They try to be as helpful as they can be and if they find they can fix something, they usually do and are happy to help. The only other time I have had a hard time with any kind of DEV is the PPSSPP guys. Made my interaction with that RA DEV look like an exchange of the kindest pleasantries. They actually told me to just get bent and not use their emulator because I was apparently not the kind of person they wanted using their emulator. Funny, because all I did was make a simple bug report but apparently that was offensive to their code in my implication it wasn't perfect. At least someone like Jason actually pays attention to his users and doesn't take bug reports personally.

And this, my friend, is why I love this community right here so darn much. EVERYONE from the new user to Jason himself and everyone in between has been just great people. The whole team really are awesome folks. I have found no community on the internet as inviting and genuinely great as I have here. Maybe I am spoiled? I almost expect, as a rule, that most people are as kind and helpful as they are here but it seems that is clearly not the case. Really, I am not the kind of person to really get involved with forums or communities at all really. I basically have this and the Steam Controller discussions and that's about it. I am what one would call an internet hermit i guess. :P

No, thanks for the background. I mean, I don't doubt they've said some less than stellar things to a lot of people, hell, I don't have a perfect track record either. I've only ever had contact with 1 or 2 people, and those very limited reactions were fine. I sometimes can't separate out the people from their work, finding out someone is a dick sometimes ruins something for me. In this case, there are so many people involved, so many walks of life, attitudes, and the work they do being fairly thankless (most developers go un-thanked actually), so you're bound to have conflicting experiences and reports. When I said each their own, it wasn't meant as a negative, I meant it just as it sounds, sometimes two mostly normal people have two completely different outlooks on stuff. I did see some of the crappy posting, but I've also seen some new faces trying to change that perception over there. I sympathize a bit I guess, given the position our team is in, I get it.

2 minutes ago, cammelspit said:

They actually told me to just get bent and not use their emulator because I was apparently not the kind of person they wanted using their emulator.

I hate when people do this. There was a similar situation where a game dev said publicly, if you voted for trump or are a trump supporter, don't play my game, you're not welcome. I don't get that mentality. Who cares, especially if someone is giving you money. I am certainly much more of the mindset that more views on life and the more stuff im exposed to isn't going to change me as a person. If I disagree with someone, hopefully we went away learning something, maybe someones mind was changed, maybe not, but shutting out discussion and civil discourse is ludicrous to me.

• 2 years later...

Did anyone else notice that both of the poll answers are the same pronunciation?

Arch as in Architect
Arch as in Noah's Ark

Both have the hard K sound.  (Architect is pronounced arkitekt).   The poll should have been something like:

Arch as in archer
Arch as in Noah's Ark

• 1 year later...

RetroArch as in China or the word arch itself. I believe it's supposed to mean that it acts as an structural arch between open source emulators. Unless I'm wrong and it's supposed to stand for "archive" so it should sound like Noah's ark.

I don't believe there's official documentation about its name. And I agree, the name sucks. It should be called RetroCenter or something.

• 1 year later...

Non English speaker here.

Ark/Arc - Ark

Arch - Arch

I prefer to keep things logical.

"Arcmage" just sounds wrong, it's "ARCHmage", why spell it with an H if not?

Of course from now on I'm going to say "ARCH-itecture" just to make a point out of it and annoy people.

Edited by Archmage_R

• 10 months later...

I somehow stumbled on this old topic because I was just searching around to learn the proper pronunciation of RetroArch.

I've always said "arch" like in "starch", because it's at the end of the word. The "ark" pronunciation is only when "arch" is used as a prefix in any example I could come up with...

Turns out there's an old interview where the creators of RetroArch say they got the name from Arch Linux, so it's definitely "arch" as in "starch". 😁