LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame v.182 multiple rom crashes

salvoembers

I am using Launchbox with MAME v.182 and I have installed everything according to the below guide. My 1941, 1942, and 1943 Roms work however I can't get Arkanoid, Battletoads, or Batman Forever to work. They launch in MAME and then they crash back to desktop. I am just looking for tips on troubleshooting or if anyone has ever seen this before so I can learn how to resolve. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Assuming you did everything correctly (which I think you did because some of your games work), did you get a MAME .182 split rom set? That would be my guess as to why it's not working. Split in .182 seems to be broken. Files are missing things they require, etc. I suggest grabbing split for MAME .174 to .181, or a non-merged set for .182. Don't grab the merged set, grab the non-merged set, they are different. Delete the games, and do an import again, the same way, but click the "uncheck all" button for the Media check boxes. Don't uncheck the database boxes or the games wont be attached to Database ID's. This way, you wont have to re-download all of your media, and it will automatically re-attach.

• Like 1

is there a mame romset version that matches up with a specifc retroarch mame core?   I prefer to use retroarch if possible so I would like to try to get the best mame romset that will work.   I believe the mame2016 core is meant for 0.174 and mame2014 is  for 0.159, are either of those known to work better than the other?

Oh, you're using RetroArch? Things get more complicated with that, which is why I stay away from MAME in RetroArch. I love RetroArch to death, but some of the cores aren't necessarily better and/or could be harder then the regular versions.

The sets and cores don't need to match perfectly, but I do greatly suggest regular MAME over the RA core in almost any situation. In terms of which version, always stick with the latest version, with the latest rom set. If you have bandwidth issues, you could go every 4-5 months instead. They do have update packs available out there too, but it's best to use something line CLRMAMEPro to put the update in properly.

You will lose a couple of GBs by using Split sets. I use Merged 183, import the roms i want and for a couple of them i wish to use a clone instead of a parent, i use Additional Apps to add the clone to the parent.

For example Puckman is the parent imported set but i want to be able to play Pac-Man (a clone), so i define an Additional App to Puckman with target my mame exe and command line parameters "pacman".

22 minutes ago, Crush said:

You will lose a couple of GBs by using Split sets. I use Merged 183, import the roms i want and for a couple of them i wish to use a clone instead of a parent, i use Additional Apps to add the clone to the parent.

For example Puckman is the parent imported set but i want to be able to play Pac-Man (a clone), so i define an Additional App to Puckman with target my mame exe and command line parameters "pacman".

Merged doesn't allow for the full range of import options though, since things are merged and zips are "missing" (they're not really missing, but you get my point). If Split is broken in .183, like .182, it wont matter anyways and non-merged would be my go to.

The use of Additional Apps doesn't depend on Launchbox or the parent MAME rom at all. All it does is run MAME with the parameter "gamex", so if you have a complete merged set you aren't going to have any problems because MAME knows where to look for bios, e.t.c files through its mame.ini.

Now when you drag a merged rom into Launchbox i guess that it reads the name of the file and executes "mame filename", that's why only parents are currently recognized in merged sets. If you rename the merged rom as a clone, it will run the clone (i did a quick test renaming the merged Varth.7z to Varthb.7z and importing it. Launchbox loaded Varthb!)

Edited by Crush

I'm only talking about the actual MAME Import. When you import roms and run the MAME Importer, there are check boxes and preferences you can set. If you only have the parent roms, certain things like region settings wont work. Split and non-merged are the only two that properly work in the importer. I'm not saying you can't play or use merged.

Yes, these options don't work with merged sets. I think that the solution to merged sets would be a new "Merged" option in the importer that would analyze the zip contents of each zip you try to import, compare it with the listxml output from MAME and offer the user to select which of the included parent/clones he wants to import.

(Of course it will be a pain if you try to import 2000 MAME roms at once!)