LaunchBox Community Forums

Fresh build & general questions

Reece

Hi, just signed up to the forum but I've been tinkering with launchbox for a month or so now and need some advice.

Originally played around with Launchbox on this PC but the plan is to do a fresh OS + LB install on another HDD I have lying around. Being absolutely oblivious to Retroarch before today (and then reading about it) I'm not sure what the best way to go about the way I emulate with LB is.

The convenience factor aside, for the systems Retroarch supports will I get just as good or better results from it in general rather than specific platform emulators?

Regardless of which way I'll set it all up, I'll eventually be buying premium for Big Box mode, and the navigation with a controller is bliss to me. I'll be using a variety of controllers across many platforms but can I configure multiple controllers to be able to control the UI no matter which I plug in at any given time or will I have to remap everytime I plug a different style controller in? 

If I have snes controllers plugged in, quit the game and go back to the frontend, can I unplug them and then use PS1/2 controllers instead for the UI (provided they were already mapped previously with intention to go play some psx) without having to reboot LB?

I did see the setting up MAME tutorial for LB, and with the MAME import wizard. Can the skipping genres/prototypes etc process be applied to other systems in any way? (Sorting games with many millions of versions/clones/etc can be frustrating)

Edit: I've come across an issue I have where I've imported let's say 100 games (mix of bootlegs, official, hacks etc) and out of that I deleted 20 from LB (not the files) and I want to move the remaining 80 games or cleanup the folder. Is there anyway I can get rid of all the games that aren't currently imported into LB for that platform without manually looking through?

I may have more questions as I think of them, but thanks!

Edited by Reece
  • Like 1

That's a lot to tackle, and I can't speak for most of it, but I can speak for Retroarch. Different cores have different compatibilties but I would suggest you use it for every system it will emulate. If you ever do run into a game, I haven't but I haven't tested 22k games in it, then just download another emulator for that specific game at that point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, fromlostdays said:

That's a lot to tackle, and I can't speak for most of it, but I can speak for Retroarch. Different cores have different compatibilties but I would suggest you use it for every system it will emulate. If you ever do run into a game, I haven't but I haven't tested 22k games in it, then just download another emulator for that specific game at that point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Agree with @fromlostdays stick to retroarch as much as you can, you setup your controller once in the main interface, and can then tweak it for different cores if needed, much easier than separate emulators for everything which all need controller configuration. Also the retroarch cores are updated regularly, which cant be said for some stand alone emulators, some havnt been updated in years. 

In bigbox you can toggle a "use all controllers" checkbox, which should do what you want.

Skipping prototypes etc. cant be used for platforms other than mame/arcade. However there is a new combine feature that will consolidate those games as long as the name is the same, for example super Mario bros, super Mario bros (proto) super Mario bros(beta) should all be under the same game, this is checked by default on import, but can of course be unchecked.

If I'm understanding your edit correctly you can click on 1 game, then ctrl a to highlight them all, right click then delete. this will remove them from launchbox.

Hope this helps, any more questions feel free to ask. 

Hi guys, thanks for all the previous help. I've managed to tackle everything related to Retroarch fine now except a few problems.

1. The games load fullscreen, but I wanted it to stretch the image to my screen size. I couldn't find an option unless I'm being blind. 

2. Upon load it says "100% usb gamepad" then "2064/58265 not configured" next to it. It gives no info to what it is that's not configured, nor was I sure it's related to the gamepad. Any ideas?

3. Also after I tackle the above problem, is there anyway to stop those extra dialogs/Retroarch notifications when I load?

4. Now when I load the bsnes core I'm using, then go to configs and load the custom one I have it seems to just exit Retroarch entirely straight after. It seems to load it fine when I open a game through Launchbox (I've set it to use that custom profile in the platforms section)

Edited by Reece
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Reece said:

Hi guys, thanks for all the previous help. I've managed to tackle everything related to Retroarch fine now except a few problems.

1. The games load fullscreen, but I wanted it to stretch the image to my screen size. I couldn't find an option unless I'm being blind. 

2. Upon load it says "100% usb gamepad" then "2064/58265 not configured" next to it. It gives no info to what it is that's not configured, nor was I sure it's related to the gamepad. Any ideas?

3. Also after I tackle the above problem, is there anyway to stop those extra dialogs/Retroarch notifications when I load?

4. Now when I load the bsnes core I'm using, then go to configs and load the custom one I have it seems to just exit Retroarch entirely straight after. It seems to load it fine when I open a game through Launchbox (I've set it to use that custom profile in the platforms section)

What version of retroarch are you using? If you are on 1.4 then it doesn't use config files anymore, you save "core overrides" for each core which autoload when a core loads. So if you are trying to load config files as well it could be conflicting and causing the crash.