LaunchBox Community Forums

controller automation is suddenly causing a big problem

ckp

suddenly, using controller automation to exit games with my xbox one or xbox 360 throws me from bigbox to my desktop and leaves an invisible bigbox.exe running. i have to kill the bigbox process. so far this only happens from Demul and Retroarch. Dolphin and PCSX2 don't have this problem. i don't know when this broke because i haven't been playing much lately with Bigbox until now (i usually use LB and it's no issue there), but it definitely was not a problem in previous LB/BB versions i've used. i'm on 7.7 release version now.

i'm posting this thread because i thought this was only with steam big picture, but it turns out this issue is with Bigbox and must have come up fairly recently as i never had this problem before.

here is the bug i filed:

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/2618/controller-automation-exit-is-making

i couldn't change my other posting title, so i am posting this thread instead.

here is my other post with more info:

Edited by ckp

I've been seeing similar issues pop up a fair bit lately. My solution is not ideal for some, but I'll post my response to a user the other day with similar issues. I myself have not had any crashing in LB with automation, but even after a new build, automation only works for volume control etc. but exiting programs is not working. I had already spent the 3 dollars on controller companion before this issue (I use it to browse my nintendo power magazines using LB) so I just mapped escape using that and it's a non issue now. Otherwise, I'd browse the other threads and see if a resolution was found or wait for  the ticket.

Edit: I'm not sure if the LB automation is using AHK or not to be honest, but I would assume that you could save the 3 dollars and go that route but I don't do anything with my controller and AHK directly.

Edited by Zeromod

Thanks @Zeromod, I'm sure that would work and is a valid workaround, but I don't want to use Xpadder or CC, or Antimicro (this one is free) for emulators that support the native xbox xinput. Something seems to have changed with Bigbox and controller automation. Hoping it gets fixed asap. 

Yep agreed. I can say that I had automation working for exit a few versions back or so. While my LB doesn't crash or freeze, it definitely stopped working in terms of full automation. I just had that workaround available to me already and figured I'd share. I'm seeing  a whole hell of a lot of these posts and can't track them to see if they are related or if we have actually identified an issue that is being tracked now or what. But to be fair, I generally am not browsing bitbucket etc. I'm just kind of trolling around in support and noob trying to help where I can lol.

Yeah, it seems sometime in of the most recent releases (i'm on 7.7 now) this particular broke. For some emulators lie Demul, we always had to have an ahk line in the emulator ahk tab for closing demul.exe or parent process, and the same type of thing for some of the other emulators (sega model 2, etc). It always worked for me for a long time using Bigbox, but only recently it has started to throw to desktop exiting the game and leaving an invisible bigbox.exe running that you have to kill.

It is definitely an issue that popped up a few releases ago.   I went back to an earlier version, around 7.2 just to make sure it was an issue with bigbox and not windows.   Its not an issue when I downgraded.

Hope it will get resolved soon.  I did use the issue page about a week ago but I didn't put in much detail.   There certainly are some work arounds or you can download more software but I personally am not interested in doing that.

Right now I am looking a bit into how AHK actually works and I've found this little info about closing applications.

Try these AHK lines and check if they work for you. So far, Big Box hasn't crashed on me with these. o.O

For Demul:

$Esc::
{
 	WinClose, ahk_class window ahk_exe demul.exe
} 

For Retroarch:

{
	WinClose, ahk_class RetroArch
} 

For Dolphin:

{
	WinClose, ahk_class wxWindowNR
} 

Edited by IlhanK
  • Like 1

I'll try that to see what happens with Demul. But it's a non issue for me for RA because simply removing the script altogether for RA 1.4.1 solves the issue with RA.

Edit: The new close method works for me with Demul!! Thanks @llhank !! Great job!

I'll read up on the new method. Maybe it's a more graceful proper close of the application. Maybe it's best to use this new method for all the emulators that I currently use the old method for, even though it seems to work ok for the others. But you have three different ways to close each of those 3 emulators and I'm not sure how to know which was is best for each application? Maybe it's in the ahk docs.

Edited by ckp

Yeah, it's not really the nomousy part that was a problem for some people that reported this. It was just that for some time things were working just fine using the Close process script on exit, but only in the last version or versions it caused this new problem for some people for some reason. 

Using the line below instead for Demul as discovered by llhanK seems to have cured this more recent issue.

Maybe it's related to OS and/or controller used, I don't know. I just know something changed in this area for some people and this new method works for me, thankfully.  

WinClose, ahk_class window ahk_exe demul.exe

• 5 months later...

i get the problem too, i think it has something to do with administrator rights interfering from another program, i have the problem when touchmote (which is started with admin rights) is active, then i cannot close demul with my hotkey, or it ll bring me to my desktop, allready encountered this problem when running taito type x games in admin mode...

3 hours ago, Thijs Moerman said:

i get the problem too, i think it has something to do with administrator rights interfering from another program, i have the problem when touchmote (which is started with admin rights) is active, then i cannot close demul with my hotkey, or it ll bring me to my desktop, allready encountered this problem when running taito type x games in admin mode...

Did the ahk solution from this page work for you?

i m not at my setup right now, but can u tell me how to implement the ahk script into launchbox, i am not familiar with this.  but i use joytokey with hotkey on my controller mapped to alt f4

solved: with controllerautomation in bigbox, it closes perfect! didn t have to use the lines above...

Edited by Thijs Moerman