LaunchBox Community Forums

what u?

Yooooooooooooo

Did you try using the Metadata and Images downloader? I've had this issue where every once in a while I'll tell it to download, and games that are attached to Database entries don't download their images. I'll manually go by, hit download on that one, and it will have images to grab. I have no clue, but I have told Jason about it.

Yea, I have seen this too, and others have reported it as well. The unfortunate part, from what @Jason Carr and I talked about, is it's extremely hard for him to track this down unless he gets more information.

So if you do come across it again, do you mind letting us know some of the info? Game name, platform name, if that platform is set to scrape as, if it's attached to a Database entry, what the Database ID is (in LaunchBox) and a link to that database entry (click on the blue link). If I come across anymore I'll put them in here too so we have something to give Jason, because I've had this issue for over 8 months. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough, and I just forget to put down the info.

I've also noticed that "Download Metadata and Media..." sometimes doesn't download existing images. As @wirtual82 have seen, depending on which games you select, it sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't. 

After some testing I now have a very specific example for when it works and for when it doesn't (an already existing media file can break the download).

Test 1:
1. The two Game Boy Color games "Army Men" and "Army Men 2" doesn't have any clear logos.
2. I run the "Download Metadata and Media..." wizard as I have described below
3. LB successfully downloads the two missing clear logos

Test 2:
1. "Army Men" has a clear logo in the "Clear Logo" folder (file name: "Army Men-01.png") and "Army Men 2" doesn't have any clear logos
2. I run the "Download Metadata and Media..." Wizard as I have described below
3. LB doesn't download the missing clear logo for "Army Men 2"
(for some reason, the existing file "Army Men-01.png" seems to break the download in this test)

Running the "Download Metadata and Media..." wizard:
1. I select the two games.
2. I choose "Tools" -> "Download Metadata and Media..."
3. I only select "Clear Logo" for both LB DB and Emumovies, I then click "Yes, but do not replace any existing fields or media" (the rest of the wizard have default values)

Edited by Norfair

7 hours ago, wirtual82 said:

Sure thing. I've had also completely clean platforms (no images at all on my hard drive), and LB just ignores lots of games. It does not download the images. 

The database may be growing up, but who cares if LB doesn't download the images?

Now the question is: how do I get rid of those IDs in the brackets before the game titles?

I think it is a major issue that the image download sometimes doesn't work :)

I couldn't find a dedicated ticket for this. I've created a new: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/2658

You should create a ticket for the ID numbers in the game titles. It looks like the ID have ended up in the game title instead of the  LaunchBox DB ID link. Does all the links look like that? They should have an ID (e.g. "Launchbox DB ID #123709")

23 hours ago, Norfair said:

I've also noticed that "Download Metadata and Media..." sometimes doesn't download existing images. As @wirtual82 have seen, depending on which games you select, it sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't. 

After some testing I now have a very specific example for when it works and for when it doesn't (an already existing media file can break the download).

Test 1:
1. The two Game Boy Color games "Army Men" and "Army Men 2" doesn't have any clear logos.
2. I run the "Download Metadata and Media..." wizard as I have described below
3. LB successfully downloads the two missing clear logos

Test 2:
1. "Army Men" has a clear logo in the "Clear Logo" folder (file name: "Army Men-01.png") and "Army Men 2" doesn't have any clear logos
2. I run the "Download Metadata and Media..." Wizard as I have described below
3. LB doesn't download the missing clear logo for "Army Men 2"
(for some reason, the existing file "Army Men-01.png" seems to break the download in this test)

Running the "Download Metadata and Media..." wizard:
1. I select the two games.
2. I choose "Tools" -> "Download Metadata and Media..."
3. I only select "Clear Logo" for both LB DB and Emumovies, I then click "Yes, but do not replace any existing fields or media" (the rest of the wizard have default values)

This particular issue is probably caused by "Army Men 2" thinking it matches the existing "Army Men" image. I'll look into this; thanks @Norfair. :)

On 3/5/2017 at 2:50 AM, wirtual82 said:

I selected 4 games that LB ignored. It downloaded the images, and strangely enough, it put IDs in the brackets before all the game titles. Not sure why? How do I delete those numbers? I do not want to have IDs before the game titles. 

Also, some games have no id numbers displayed in the edit button window. Not sure if that makes any difference. (Though, it's contained in xmls).

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.03.05_11h46m32s_002_.png

Ashampoo_Snap_2017.03.05_11h57m59s_003_.png

The IDs in the titles are coming from arranging by games database ID. We do have a bug in the latest release I think where the titles aren't always updating when they should be and are being cached for too long (such as when you change the arrange by or hide or show versions). You can get around it by refreshing all images, but that's of course not ideal.

1 hour ago, wirtual82 said:

Probably, that's the case in this case. But LB still does not download the images of hundreds of games from the database. I have clean imported roms, and LB always does not download the images for some games. Only if I choose 5 or 10, then it works. But 25 or more games (etc.)? No, it downloads nothing. 

It's not only my build because I have two different installations of LB, and the same thing happens.

If you need more screens or films. Just let me know. I can show it to you :)

i think this is the same problem, for example you have 5 games no image and 1 game with and you select all games once the image downloaded gets to game with image it will stop downloading any further images for games below it.

this is what happens when you try select 3 games 2 games with image and 3rd without it will not download but if you select only the game without the image it will work

https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/1355/image-downloading#comment-33143293

Yeah, as much as I wish this was a simple problem like "it stops downloading images once it finds a game with no images", or something like that, it can't be that simple, unless I'm missing something. Does this only happen on download metadata and images? Or does it happen on imports as well?

I'm still not fully following and haven't been able to replicate, so I expect I'll need as many details as possible in order to fix it.

• 11 months later...

I'm having the same issue. Currently working on Nintendo Entertainment System. I sucessfully downloaded all the game descriptions and some other artwork. Now i am trying to download the front boxes. I previously had front boxes in the folder, though these were small and from emumovies. The Launchbox ones seem to be bigger. So I deleted all of the contents of the front box folder from the NES media folder. I then selected all NES games and told LB to scrape the front box images from the Launchbox (not emumovies) server. LB shoots through all the games in a few seconds, says it has successfully updated the metadata for 700 items, though it didn't download the covers!!

If I edit each game manually then I can download them that way - though this method is of courese untenable!

Edit: could it be because I deleted the images through file explorer rather than in LB - so LB think that the images are still there, maybe? Maybe some sort of datafile/cache issue?

Edited by Dan

if you can't fix the issue can you at least make it so we can sort games with missing images that way it makes it easier to select all of them in one go instead of scrolling around to find games with missing images.

10 hours ago, emko said:

if you can't fix the issue can you at least make it so we can sort games with missing images that way it makes it easier to select all of them in one go instead of scrolling around to find games with missing images.

You can do this in the audit screen, you can sort by various image types then highlight them and delete/hide.