LaunchBox Community Forums

7.8-beta-12 Released

Jason Carr

Just now, angelobodetti said:

Ok will try now. Should I use the most recent file for beta 12 or the last one I had installed beta 11?

I would use the last one that worked, so beta 11. Just install over the top of your current install, your files will stay it will just update the .exe.

I get it, but a force crash or a bug is one thing, deleting essential files is an alpha build not a beta. 

Well to be fair I updated last night with no issues. By the looks of your screenshot it looks to me like some sort of windows permissions error that wouldn't let windows rename the file rather than a launchbox error. Maybe @Jason Carr can offer some insight for you.

It didn't work - Nothing happens when i try to open LB.

Well that is strange, I have had to do this myself before and it worked just fine. Are you trying to open it from within the launchbox folder or using a old shortcut you already had?

19 hours ago, keithhov said:

I am still having problems with controller automation crashing bigbox, is this still expected to be addressed?  I thought I saw a post that it will hopefully be fixed by version 8.

@keithhov This has probably come up before but I got so much going on, I can't recall. Can explain exactly what is happening?

15 hours ago, bauerdave said:

Hello Jason,

For some reason I can not get the upgrade I get this error "Unable to download update: An exception occurred during a WebClient request" it starts ok but gets to about 1/4 of the way then this error, any glue what is going on here?

Thanks

Dave

The downloads have been hosted on Amazon S3 for the past few days, which should in theory eliminate any download issues, though Amazon apparently did have some DNS issues (sigh). I assume it's working for you now @bauerdave?

Amazon S3 is temporary though because it's costing us $100 a day (ouch!) to keep them up there. We're in the process if getting *another* server going as a more permanent solution. ;)

11 hours ago, Sir BLaDE said:

I'm having a lot of problems with the downloads too, It is impossible for me to download the videos for the playlist.

Only the videos hosted on launchbox, not from emumovies

Yes, the games database server is currently being pegged due to all the extra traffic since the weekend, which is another reason why we're firing up another server here. I'm hoping to get it up and running late tonight. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, angelobodetti said:

Zero clue what the issue could be. I am trying directly with the exe. After it installed it opened but nothing was populated. So i closed and tried to open the exe again. Now nothing.

I am trying to download a fresh LB and then drag my old files over

We have so many safeguards in place to make sure nothing like that happens; I'm pretty confident that it's not possible that LaunchBox went and deleted your data files. That's literally historically never once happened, so there must be something else going on here. The worst situation we've seen in the past is corrupted XML files, but they can be restored from the Backups folder. Remember that all of LaunchBox's data is stored in the LaunchBox\Data folder via XML, so you can check on that folder.

Regardless, yes, I don't say this to be a jerk, but it is absolutely imperative that everyone who is using the betas maintains regular backups of their collections. Really, everyone should, period, including those on official releases, but especially folks using the betas. It's super easy to back up your collection because it's just a matter of copying the LaunchBox folder (as long as you leave default paths and such).

Anyways, it looks like that error occurred with the setup program, oddly; are you using any kind of file syncing program or anything that could have changed the folder while the setup was running? Also, what anti-virus and/or security software are you running? Have you checked the file system for errors with chkdsk?

20 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

The downloads have been hosted on Amazon S3 for the past few days, which should in theory eliminate any download issues, though Amazon apparently did have some DNS issues (sigh). I assume it's working for you now @bauerdave?

Amazon S3 is temporary though because it's costing us $100 a day (ouch!) to keep them up there. We're in the process if getting *another* server going as a more permanent solution. ;)

no its still not working.  

Dave

2 minutes ago, bauerdave said:

no its still not working.  

Dave

Alright, sorry for that. We're working on moving away from S3 into our own solution, so give us a day or so. It is puzzling though, because we're getting thousands of successful downloads. Where are you located?