LaunchBox Community Forums

Moving LaunchBox from one PC to another

chapel

I'm building my LaunchBox library on my desktop, but I want to eventually take it all and also put it on my laptop so I can bring it with me.

How would I go about taking all the work I've done here and simply moving it to my laptop?

Then that's a lot trickier then. You may need to start from scratch on the laptop. If you keep everything in the launchbox folder its much simpler. What will happen is launchbox will look for your roms and such in a location that probably does not exist on your laptop, it may even be looking for a completely different drive letter to what you have setup now.

yeah, the time suck is in the images and videos. 

So, copy the ROMS and Emulators to the new computer. Install Launchbox. Copy the images and videos from the old Launchbox (which folders are these I need to get?). Fire it up, import the ROMs but uncheck all the image stuff and it should use the old images?

Yep exactly, in the launchbox folder is a image folder and a video folder just copy them, you can also copy the music and manuals folders if you have been downloading them as well. When you re import check the download metadata you will need that but unchech all the image and video downloads.

Well you would have to delete all the platforms you have already imported and start again, but of course you already have all the media so it wouldn't take to long. When you import the wizard will ask you if you want to use the roms in there current location or copy them into the launchbox folder, you would copy them into the folder.

6 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Also I have all my emulators in a folder called emulators which is in the launchbox folder, that way everything is self contained in the launchbox folder and therefore portable.

Will the emulators run or are they pointing at hard coded paths?

4 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Not quite sure I understand you, but yeah the emulators work fine as long as launchbox knows where they are.

Sorry for the confusion, I'll give it another shot. I know there paths to the emulators are relative in Launchbox but do the individual emulators (ie Retroarch) have hardcoded paths that you had to adjust to make your whole installation portable?

No not at all, retroarch doesn't even need installing you just unzip it wherever you like. In my case its in launchbox/emulators/retroarch. Most emulators are portable and don't actually need installing so when you first run them you just tell them to install in the launchbox folder rather than the root of your c drive or wherever it defaults to.

I didn't read everything here but you can move everything as long as the drive letters match so if your ROMs are on D:\Emulators\Nintendo\NES\ROMs on your desktop and you copy it to your laptop and it is on D:\Emulators\Nintendo\NES\ROMs it will work because to LB its the same thing. Now with laptops unless you pull your optical drive and replace it with a drive caddy you will be limited to one drive and would have to make a partition unless everything is already on C then as long as the paths were identical it would work also even if paths don't match up editing you XML is very easy in NotePad++ just watch out for the CIA