LaunchBox Community Forums

WIP No Art Assets - Commodore 64

Lassiveran

7 hours ago, massatomic said:

They have been all approved cept a couple now, i am not sure if i messed up as i listed them as fan art - front and i am not sure if lb automatically uses these images if a normal box front is not available. I may have to add them all again in the main catogory. Can anyone tell me either way?

i have not had time to do any latley and will really depend on work/family as to when i can do more, please feel free to grab a pack and add them yourself if you get the time.

there was also a few rejections, like "bowling" which has several different versions from different publishers(i listed them as per the file name) but still got regected, i will re up and try them again. 18 according to this site, not sure what we can do about it

http://www.gamebase64.com/search.php?f=0&t=0&s=Bowling&searchSubmit=Go!&d=18&h=1&a=0

if you want to help leave which letter you are doing, i was only able to do from # to E for the time being

I know the feeling Massatomic,  I have 2 kids myself and things can get busy.  I had a few days off due to a root canal and then the holidays so I was able to get thru a huge chunk.  Keep in mind I may have screwed up the GB code on a few of them as the process on making the box fronts can become almost mechanical.  A few of the titles use the same name I have noticed.  File naming generally uses the publisher to differentiate, I am not sure how the database handles that as I haven't had an opportunity to look.  

Do what you can when time permits as it is a big help.  I am moving on to the Official set, once that's finished we should have a huge chunk of most people's Commodore 64 setups covered.  Then onto the other computer systems to give them some love as well.

Thanks

18 hours ago, DOS76 said:

If these aren't scans of the official box covers DO NOT add them as the main covers to the DB where you have them now is exactly where they go.

Yeah I thought as much @DOS76 but do you know if lb defaults to fan art box front if no box front exists?

Seems like a fruitless excercise to put these place holders in place where they are never going to show up anyway, with the amount of c64 stuff I imagine alot of the art is lost to time.

If it does great! If it does not then would it be possible for me to add them to both fan art and normal box art for replacement in the future

Thanks Massatomic,  The next update is almost ready to release and should be up this weekend.  They are gonna get bigger now with 1.1 estimating to include 300 new box fronts.  I also like to add a little extra and breaks up the grind as it allows me to work on new assets.  Here is a preview of a new variant (Vintage), to be included in this release along with the start of a c64 cartridge.

58fac2f252921_Commodore64CartridgeWIPPreview.png.874f8a01d3593b4225c45a87dfdbe1fc.png58fac2f7747ae_Commodore64NoBoxArtVariant03Preview.png.0b2fd511f09298bae46ac01399238103.png 

Edited by Lassiveran
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Lassiveran I have not started on this latest pack, it will take many hours just to get them in. I am quietly excited that Jason mentioned that he will be creating a bulk import tool for the db on his live stream update video a couple of days ago

Hopefully your images may make a good test case for the tool and save us all countless hours, might see how this plays out before I go adding any more of these to the db for the time being!

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, massatomic said:

Your a machine!

still waiting to see if this tool gets made, i see a plugin to go from lb to the db. Have not tried it out yet though

I'd hold off anyhow until 2.0 is released.  Perhaps with another month wait we will have a better indication as to what is available to us.  I have done database front end development before but as I have not looked at the launchbox database I not sure of the time requirement to develop something.  As always, I appreciate the input.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Version 1.8.0 has been released

• Added 134 Fan Made Box Fronts from W to Z from the Official Set.
  • Added a Text Adventure Subset featuring 243 Box Front comprised of 3 types of Fan-Made Box Fronts to represent Generic Text Adventures, Quill Text Adventures and AdventureWriter Text Adventures, 5 replica themed box fronts for The Guild, Free Spirit, CodeWriter, The 8th Day and Atlas Adventure Software.  Also includes a few Original Photo Edited and Fan Reconstructed Box Fronts.

I've included a Generic Text Adventures Box Front for each of the Replica Themed in case you would rather use that one.

593c349e5572c_TextAdventures.thumb.png.3556e49151ae3d2f09a71aa81a90a200.png

Edited by Lassiveran
  • Like 1

The XML I am using is for a set of 8,236 roms, 7,904 of which match the CRC of the Official Commodore 64 HyperBase Database 1.0.  I use this in conjunction with cross referencing GB64.com.    

Moving onto 1.9 release, I am working at filling the gaps missing in 1.8.  This is a result of an issue on my end where different games of the same name got grouped together in launchbox.  I am also going through and taking another look at my front end collection and either

a) Luckingly locating an original box front end

b) Fixing errors with my current Fan-made front end or Original Box front end

So I will definitely work towards aligning my set up with Underwoods DB

I also welcome anyone to send me a message if you notice any errors.

• 3 weeks later...

Preview of what is coming in 1.9.0 as it has been a couple weeks since version 1.8.0 release.

Release of 1.9.0 will feature the Magazine Subset.  I have created approximately 10 fan box fronts that are designed to symbolize the magazine the game appeared in.  This should further provide variety to the 2000+ previous box fronts that have been created.  I have included a preview image of 6 for your viewing pleasure.  I expect this release out within the next week or so as it took some time to create the templates and that nasty real life workload got in the way.

5953ce00a3510_MagazineSubsetPreview.thumb.png.e960fb727798b7055bc0a612454f8d7e.png

• Like 1