LaunchBox Community Forums

Upgrade to Windows 10?

Wayne100

I am seriously considering upgrading to Windows 10 for LaunchBox and BigBox. However, as this will be an arcade machine system, I would want Windows customised, so that login/logout screens, shutting down screens etc are either edited, or removed. Is this even possible with Windows 10?

I have stuck with Windows 7 for this long, due to it being very easy to modify as needed.

Yes and yes. Windows 10 has been a fantastic OS. I think the best one Microsoft has ever made, legitimately. It requires some tweaks, like any OS, but it can also be made to run leaner and meaner. The logout and login screen customization is totally possible. Some can be done within the OS out of the box, like bypassing the need for the password. You go in to the account settings and remove the need for a password. As for those screens, I choose to use a program called Display Fusion. It's primarily for multi-screen PC's, but it has many many more uses, and altering those screens is one of them. I bought a license and put it on my ours PC's (my wife and me), and it works great. There is free software out there that can do this too, but you'd have to do some Googling. There's a lot you can do, and it's a google search away, like the password thing (mostly cause I can't remember it exactly).

In my experience turning off the need for a password also disables your ability to access network resources (at least in Windows 7 I've had a password ever since so haven't tested it) to get around that you can get SystemInternals suite and there is a program in there called auto login which takes away the need to sign in at boot and leave you access to network resources if you need that functionality

Without a Windows password, it's not likely any computer, by default, will be able to access resources on the computer that has the username with no password, but the computer you have with no password can surely access other network resources by using a username and password to access them assuming they have a username and password, even if it's another Windows box.

By default Windows requires a password for accessing folder shares, for example. But this can be disabled.

Just google something like:  turn off password protected sharing. There is a network setting in Win 7 and higher for this. 

• 7 months later...
On 2017/4/7 at 9:01 PM, Wayne100 said:

I am seriously considering upgrading to Windows 10 for LaunchBox and BigBox. However, as this will be an arcade machine system, I would want Windows customised, so that login/logout screens, shutting down screens etc are either edited, or removed. Is this even possible with Windows 10?

I have stuck with Windows 7 for this long, due to it being very easy to modify as needed.

My upgrade failed, I didn't even  know why (Maybe I'm a novice ), but after I upgraded Windows 10 from Windows 7, I found that the computer was locked and I could only reinstall the system. I couldn't find any other methods

On 4/7/2017 at 9:01 AM, Wayne100 said:

For home pc's sharing resources (mapped drives, network printers, etc) just create a homegroup and make sure you join that homegroup on each pc.  If you want to have the pc log in automatically and retain all of your network resources you can set windows 10 to log in with your administrator account and save the password option so that it logs in automatically with that account.  You should have no issues accessing anything on the network.