LaunchBox Community Forums

Game titles in Bigbox slow to load

syntax_X

Big box runs super smooth except for the game titles on the lower part of the screen.
If I choose a system then navigate quickly then I see a lot of grey and black squares until the game logo loads.

Everything else runs fine like I said, the games description and movie will load instantly but the game title take awhile. Once they are all loaded if I leave that system and come back to it they are all fine.
If I want everything to work as it should I have to navigate to each system, scroll through the games list for each of them to fill the cache I'm guessing
My system is well above normal specs (i5 8g ram 750ti) and I've increased cache to 4g I cant see why that part of BB would take so long to load.

Edited by syntax_X

I'm doing a force cover wheel image load now, feels like it will take about an hour for 30k games.
I could scroll through all my platforms and load the coverwheels into the cache in about 3 minutes.

Would it be significantly faster if I put the cover wheel images on the ssd?

Edited by syntax_X

Do you ever encounter any issue like what I have with that setup? Everything is on a 5200rpm for me but OS and steam on 128 SSD (only around 40 gig spare).

Might have to grab another SSD and dedicate it to Launchbox. 

Without roms the folder is 140gig

Edited by syntax_X

No i dont experience those issues personally, except maybe if Windows is updating or something like that. I actually only have a 250GB ssd, on which i have windows, Launchbox and steam (allthough i install my steam games to other hdd's on my system). I have about 19000 games in my launchbox setup with all the images and videos for most of those games as well and my launchbox folder is currently about 138GB in size, but because all the relevant images and videos are on the ssd its smooth as butter, and just loads my roms from the usb drive.

Putting stuff on an SSD wont actually make it faster. The seek times will be faster from an SSD, but LaunchBox doesn't really take advantage of an SSD the same way. If you load up the Windows Performance monitor, you'll see how much Hard Drive speed it's taking, and the speeds are no where near maxed on a regular drive, so they would be even farther from an SSD. The only benefits are going to be small.

• Like 1

Just now, SentaiBrad said:

Putting stuff on an SSD wont actually make it faster. The seek times will be faster from an SSD, but LaunchBox doesn't really take advantage of an SSD the same way. If you load up the Windows Performance monitor, you'll see how much Hard Drive speed it's taking, and the speeds are no where near maxed on a regular drive, so they would be even farther from an SSD. The only benefits are going to be small.

I just find it really odd that everything else load silky smooth but those tiny images, probably the smallest of all metadata besides text, wont load smoothly.

Once everything caches it will help. If you're willing to go through a few steps, and you've already let everything cache (the names need to cache too), then check out these posts with info:

Edit: As small as some of these things seem, I've seen reports of Big Box lagging out, but installing even the K-Lite Codec pack and letting it fix things solved someones lag.

Brand new PC purpose built for Launchbox running windows 10 and no other processes.

I cant see how a codec pack will improve the lower titles loading.

I did the force load and everything was working fine as expected. Then I did a restart and checked BB, expecting the titles not to load in time but they were all already loaded. Then I shutdown to ensure the ram was clear. Started up BB and all the titles are still loaded??

Is this force cache thing not ram?

Edited by syntax_X

Just now, neil9000 said:

I assume its not compulsory due to the time it takes, i know people on here who have 100,000+ games in there collection, that would take hours to cache.

I'm feeling that now.. But its so worth it.

I guess its like a final step once you have your collection in order, and then occasionally redo.