LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box crashes on first button press

Wow, that's a bad bug. It would be nice though to be sure, to make sure it isn't somehow losing focus by adding a keyboard or a mouse and seeing if you can navigate Bigbox after that happens, and to see if you can do anything at all inside the OS.

Edited by ckp

ok, so I boot up and the controller works for 10 seconds like in the video then becomes unresponsive.

I do a single left click without moving the mouse and the controller comes back to life. 

/sighs

So yes, seems that my problem is that Big Box is losing focus.

Here is what I see in task manager. Any one have an idea what process is the culprit? 

The only thing in the startup folder is big box. Also to note, I am having this same problem if I replace the default win8 shell with Big Box, although I haven't tested the focus/mouse thing with that just yet. 

I am also tossing up the idea of dumping Win8 for Win7. But if I can figure this out, then I might not need to do this even though I kinda hate Win8.

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, arcath said:

Here is what I see in task manager. Any one have an idea what process is the culprit? 

Some people have found a part of their anti virus type software was causing it. You really have to just start going through all your non microsoft processes (includes services) and determine which one is causing this. So you might start there. And disabling your anti virus doesn't always mean it stops all the AV processes. You might have to stop a service(s) also.

25 minutes ago, ckp said:

Some people have found a part of their anti virus type software was causing it. You really have to just start going through all your non microsoft processes (includes services) and determine which one is causing this. So you might start there. And disabling your anti virus doesn't always mean it stops all the AV processes. You might have to stop a service(s) also.

This box isnt on the net, it doesnt even have AV software on it.

7 minutes ago, ckp said:

It was just an example. You'll have to find the problem using process of elimination. 

Yeah its clearly a program or process on your system that is stealing focus, not saying it is but try disabling that asus server stuff. Its pretty much the only thing i can see in your shot that i dont have running on my system.

Edit;

Especially as you say the box is not online, why do you need dlna stuff running?

Edited by neil9000

Unfortunately, my case isn't that simple. I've tested with a keyboard and mouse attached, and it still freezes. Clicking with the mouse does nothing. Pressing eg. windows-key and then using the mouse to refocus to big box does nothing. It is thoroughly frozen, it hasn't just lost focus. 

However, it would appear that it only freezes if the very first input it receives is from a controller. If I first press a button on the keyboard and then use the controller, everything appears to work just fine.