LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox performance issues - Slow

Mike69pt

Hello guys,

After using Hyperspin for some time and having all the systems set up with some minor issues, I have looked at what people said about Launchbox and it seemed like a better solution all around, better visual interface, easier to configure, etc.

Decided to give a go and went all in with BigBox and paid the fee. In fact it is way easier to configure than HyperSpin and I really like the end result with all the emulators and integration with Emumovies.

Now for the bad part...It is objectively slow!!!

I have it running on my Laptop, a i5 5th Gen 8GB SSD 840M-4GB machine and it's just annoyingly slow!

I have seen all the other posts about people having the same issue and almost all the help provided is about "cleaning up the pc" "higher specs needed" (even when they already have High end specs) etc.

I work in IT so I'm fairly competent in having my pc up to date and "clean", and how can we blame the computer if it's just this one piece of software that does not work properly??

In my specific case when I launch BigBox the issues start straight away as the intro sound is choppy and then it gets more frustrating when scrolling through emulators or games.

I wish I had been warned about this before actually buying BigBox as this is clearly an application problem. I have tried many other front ends and this is the only one with this issue.

If you are unhappy with the performance I'd suggest contacting support@unbrokensoftware.com and asking for a refund then, as with you specs you shouldn't have issues. If you have Windows 10 Creator Update and you are running MSI Afterburner it has been known to cause issue but if not then pretty much the clean up advice is all anyone can offer since we don't know why some people suffer from unbearable low speed and while others have no issues.

It's possible that as its still a fairly new install that bigbox is still caching all the relevant images, clear logos etc. I don't no which theme you are using but some are much more media rich than others and will need a bit more horsepower for a smooth experience. Bigbox actually uses a gpu if you have one installed also and that can make a difference also. Have you tried force caching your images? There is a option for it in options/image cache/force populate images, this can take a while depending on collection size but will cache all images to your hdd. This should smooth out performance for you.

8 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

It's possible that as its still a fairly new install that bigbox is still caching all the relevant images, clear logos etc. I don't no which theme you are using but some are much more media rich than others and will need a bit more horsepower for a smooth experience. Bigbox actually uses a gpu if you have one installed also and that can make a difference also. Have you tried force caching your images? There is a option for it in options/image cache/force populate images, this can take a while depending on collection size but will cache all images to your hdd. This should smooth out performance for you.

I have about 6 emulators with around 2500 games overall. I have thought about the cache issue but I have browsed time and time again to the same emulators/games and the issue happens every time.

I really wish I could get it to work as it seems awesome, but it's unusable for me at this point.

*Thank you all for the very quick replies :)

As i said the force cache will do just that it will cache all the related images to the launchbox/images/cache folder this makes retrieving said images much quicker than just scrolling through the lists, as this is a permanent hdd cache it will stay the same even after a reboot. This is a very difficult thing to troubleshoot as two people with exactly the same specs can have varying performance, and we don't know why that is the case. Also what one person finds to be slow another user may feel is completely acceptable speeds, which makes it even more difficult when comparing different systems or specs. Jason the developer works very hard to optimise the program on a regular basis and for the vast majority of people performance is very good. Then we have people with decent specs with which Bigbox should run perfectly fine saying it's slow and choppy and we just don't understand why that would be the case. As i said though if the force cache images doesn't improve things for you then email support@unbrokensoftware.com and ask for a refund, Jason is very good at refunding people who are genuinely having performance issues with the program. 

Just open Bigbox, go to options, then image cache and the bottom two options there are force populate image cache, depending on which view you are using you pick one or the other. Or if you really wan't to go for it you can do them both and that will force cache every image for every view.

Just now, DOS76 said:

Hopefully it will work for you but that is a feature that shouldn't need to be utilized with a 5th gen i5 as its for weaker systems with less processing power.

That is very true, performance should be good with those specs, but its worth trying before asking for a refund. I actually gave the same advice to someone else who had good specs but performance was slow for them and they loved the results and i have seen them telling other users to do the same in other threads since. Not saying it will absolutely cure any issues, just that it's worth a shot.

• Like 1

Our go to had been those two answers (here are some ways to clean up your pc or your specs are really low), because that's what all the threads ended up being about after a while. People who had no clue what they were really doing. I'm not saying that to be mean, it's just true. Are you on the latest official or beta release? Do you have any AV or active scanning software running? I'm also curious if forcing the cache helps too.

Guest Kirsten Marie

Hey @Mike69pt, We're so sorry for the delayed response, both Jason and I have been away. I just sent you an E-mail, we will do what we can to get your issue resolved. If we can't, we can definitely offer you a refund. Thanks!!!