LaunchBox Community Forums

Background images question.

Ripklawe

Hi all,

I have a question. Is there a way to stop any given game from using a background image? When cycling through games on any platform, the background images cause the scroll wheel to be slow and choppy. I am assuming this is because of the background images anyway because on the platform screen, with no background images, the scroll wheel moves nice and smooth. I have been through all the options and think I have exhausted all of those solutions.

Also, maybe this is a technical issue? My system is as follows:

intel 4790k @ 4ghz
16 gigs ram
GeForce 970

I thought with these kinds of specs that I would never have to worry about image lag in BigBox. Is there a setting I may be missing??

Thanks in advance.

Hello Brad,

I did read that post first actually and did not find am answer. I tried to do the following, as it states:

"To Sixth, disable the background images. Users have reported that disabling these have helped them out with performance. This is something I have always just done out of personal aesthetic preference so I have never actually tested this"

I cannot seem to disable any of the background images for games within the any of the platform, seems to just use fan art images or other backgrounds. None of the image settings seem to do anything in this regard. As for forcing cache, did that too, still stutters when scrolling through games. Only universal variable is that scroll wheels on pages with background images are sluggish.

29 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

do you use fan art as backgrounds in LB that setting may carry over

It seems like I do for some games, not all, but my settings for "Default Background" in Launchbox is set to "Use Launchbox Default Background".

Kinda weird that nothing seems to change my consoles or any sub category for that matter, from using backgrounds in BigBox. I feel like there is something I am missing just not sure what.

Ok, so, after I finished the last post, I went and changed the following:

In the "Options", under "Images, in "Background Priorities", I unchecked all that ewas checked, in this case "Clear Logos" and "Fan Art". This removed the background images from my consoles inside BigBox so THAT's taken care of, thank you.

Now just one last issue. Is there a way to make a games list use a single background that it does not have to load up when cycling through games? The loading of background images is what was slowing my scrollwheel down. Scrolls great now. Still find it odd that changing background images per game would slow the scroll wheel down like that.

Im not sure if I understand you correctly but anyway...

At the moment my platform wheel background image is used for games that are missing backgrounds. Im not sure if you can have a default image that isnt the same as the platform. But anyway for this my settings are...

Platform image is stored c:\users\"your name"\launchbox\images\platform\xbox 360\fanart.

My image settings in bigbox. Everything turned off except use fanart as background.

Remove all fanart from C:\users\"yourname"\launchbox\images\xbox 360\fanart-background.

I use xbox 360 as an example. Repeat for all other platforms.

Im also not sure if the background is always reloaded as you scroll. 

Edited by jayjay

Hi JayJay,

Thanks for offering help but that did not fix the issue either.

To be perfectly frank, I am about done with this program.  With my system specs, I should not be dealing with this issue and there seems to be no way to fix it. All I see is one of two things:

"Here are my system specs and it works fine for me"
"Read this post "BigBox Performance and How to Make it Better"

Hello,

Sooooo, after tweaking some settings a bit and running different themes in different configurations, I have come to the conclusion that any theme other than "Default Theme" or "Critical Zone Theme" is/was the culprit. For some reason the same settings that run smooth in the default theme are choppy on the RetroFresh theme and other themes as well and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why.

I can now scroll smoothly through my games list, even with background images, but only in the "Default Theme" and "Critical Zone Theme". Any other theme causes scroll wheel slowdown when there are background images. Anyone have any thoughts on why that would be? I do not have a very large library, only 831 in total across all platforms.

Hi Massatomic,

I tried this even though I was almost 100% certain this would have no effect when taking the power of my rig into consideration.

Unfortunately, I was correct. As it stands right now, if I want to use this theme, I cannot have background images at all or it slows down the scroll wheel when i switch between games because the image loading is causing lag for some reason.

I think it's a bug, but a bug related to the Theme. Either because XAML has been updated and the theme creator hasn't kept up, an bug just in that theme (or others), or a LaunchBox bug overall. I think it's least likely to be a LB Bug, or all themes would be effected, including default, but you said default was fine. I would try and contact those theme creators and let them know / point them to this thread to see if they need to upgrade. @CriticalCid might be able to talk more specifically about this, but that's where my guess would be; It lies in the theme right now.

CriticalZone uses the exact same code for background images as the Default theme so my guess is that some specific alterations to that code cause lag in other themes for you.

I know that RetroFresh uses a heavy blur effect on the background images so my guess would be that the blur is what causes the performance issues for you.

8 hours ago, Ripklawe said:

Hi Massatomic,

I tried this even though I was almost 100% certain this would have no effect when taking the power of my rig into consideration.

Unfortunately, I was correct. As it stands right now, if I want to use this theme, I cannot have background images at all or it slows down the scroll wheel when i switch between games because the image loading is causing lag for some reason.

Sorry to hear that, that was ultimatly what helped my setup scroll smoothly. I also turned my image quality down from high

i am running a large 30k collection on a 4690k (standard clock) and gtx970 and it scrolls perfectly now, just need to turn on a few effects now until i find the sweetspot between looks and usabilty

Hi, my system specs are not too high, but I can see that many people with good hardware is having problems with background images that make the wheel slow and general experience. I think that should be great if we could choose the background image for each platform. This way LB don't have to load a different background for each game and I think should improve performance. For example: in Sega genesis, for all games a background with an image of the console or Sonic or whatever you choose. For Snes another one and like this for all platforms. Would be possible this thing, even in Bigbox with default theme? I think it should be good for people with poor hardware and people that it's having some problems.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk