LaunchBox Community Forums

Doesn't launch Mame Roms. Program, not user, error in launchBox

Silentnight

I'm not a coder, and don't pretend to be. 

I'm fully aware LB is front end software. I've done an arduous process of elimination, and this was my finding, which again I can replicate.

If I can replicate a flaw, and remedy this every time using the same method, that can only come to one conclusion.

I'll say again, I'm not the only one who had this problem, you need to suggest to them my remedy and see how they get on.

OK to put this another way...

If Mame is loading roms perfectly fine on it's own, and then you launch LB and your paths for the Mame launcher are correct, and you have imported the roms into it's index from the same location Mame is set to look for games... and the games don't load from there...

What other source of the problem can there be?

wow so because these are your finding you are going to dispute multiple people who tell you that this does indeed work if you have it configured correctly because trust me it does I have multiple computers all pulling my MAME roms from a server that houses all my roms while having separate instances of MAME on every computer utilizing this one ROM set

Open your mame.ini (Mameui64 -> Ini)

What do you have in the "rompath" section out of curiosity?

MAME-06.PNG.8bbc8fd9c48271a5c1ffe6c8326e035a.PNG

20 minutes ago, Silentnight said:

I'm not a coder, and don't pretend to be. 

Yet that doesn't seem to stop you from being very certain that it's LB's fault, despite the fact that we've all shown you evidence to the contrary.

OK it's now nearly midnight where I am in the UK. I've been at this now for nearly 6 hours.

I've been using Mame now like I've said on and off for a good few years. This is back when you could get the Voodoo range of GPU's by 3dfx, remember those?

So configuring Mame isn't anything new to me, and I've had Hyperspin running before now, which is a headache at the best of times.

I've given you my findings. 

Remember I tried something last minute before un-installing LB just as a what the hell type of thing. I have no idea why my solution works but it does.

Now people are saying no that can't be and I'm wrong. That's fine.

I wanted to fix something, and I have. The work around isn't great, but it's what I've done to make LB work... for me.

Just remember what I did, no matter if it makes sense to you or not, and if someone has my issue even though my work around flies in the face of logic, just ask them to try it and see what happens. That's all I ask. Just try it.

Now, you can lock the thread to stop silly flaming or what ever else.

I've explained my findings this evening, i'm not some 14 year old trolling for the lulz.

well no if you move your MAME roms into the ROMs folder where MAME looks for them by default that is always going to work hands down and yeah that fixed your issues its cool what we are saying is you can set it up with it in other locations by adding file paths to the mame.ini file if that isn't working for you for some reason we don't know why but I've never seen that issue pop up before.

Yea, im not letting this go on. They tried to tell you how it works. If you add the rom path to MAME in the UI or in the ini, you can have your games anywhere. Since you moved the games, MAME couldn't see the dependencies it needed to run the games. Since you moved the games from the path it looks at by default, it wouldn't load. However, you can tell MAME to look in multiple locations for your games, and it will work. That is how MAME works.