LaunchBox Community Forums

Multiple Controllers in Retroarch

Kmetz7547

OK,  sorry to start a new topic on this but I am going crazy.  If anyone has a easy fix for this please let me know.  Heres my issues

I wanted to setup and save different USB controllers to use depending on the system that I was playing

example-: if NES is  loaded,  I want retroarch to know I'm using the USB nes controller I have plugged in..  If Sega genesis is loaded,  then the USB genesis controller configs would be loaded.. 

However,  after multiple attempts and multiple research I can't figure it out... 

Heres what didn't work -

Opening a game in system and loading retroarch settings..  Then binding the controller and saving as new config. 

Opening a game in system and loading retroarch settings..  Then binding the controller and saving as current config. 

Opening a game in system and loading retroarch settings..  Then binding the controller and saving  in quick menu as core remap. 

Some attempts seem to work until I exit retroarch and re-enter or replug a different controller or switch system..  Then I am stuck reminding controllers again.. 

Sorry if I'm making a rookie mistake here but I can't seem to find a solution online and its seriously driving me butts,  lol

Thanks in advance for any input

Okay how many controllers are you using in total? Have you tried setting this up with them all plugged in together and then changing the player 1 controller port to the appropriate controller for the appropriate system so say you have 4 controllers plugged in in ports 1-4 and your snes pad was in port 3 go to player one input binds under settings input then change player one to port 3 and set a per core config. I'd like to note I've never done this its just grasping at straws here.

Edited by DOS76

I have not tried leaving all the controllers plugged in.  I figured (hoped)  that retroarch would just save the config i put in for each controller and load that config depending on the system I loaded.  I have a pair of controllers for NES,  SNES,  Sega Genesis,  N64,  GameCube,  PlayStation,  Xbox 360,  and Wii..  So that's 16 total controllers at the moment

I remember a long time ago, and I'm not very savvy, but the gist was some guy realized it was actually windows that was swapping controller ids. It assigns ids on a first come first serve bases so even having multiple of the same controller, say xbox controller, plugged in, the ids will swap depending on which one you turn on first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Yes you are right.  I've noticed that there os not a way to setup all these generic USB controllers and plug in when u want to use them and expect retroarch to auto remember each config.  I guess I will just use my ps4 controller for most emulators.  Thank you for your help

Nope have to leave them plugged in for the easiest experience.  Not too bad really, if you have the space. I have 3 GameCube controllers on a rack mounted the the left side of the ent. System, two snes usb in the middle rack of Munich rackmount part of the ent. System, two xbox360's on the right side rack, PlayStation controllers on the top of a PlayStation 2 stand, and all 4 wiimotes on top of a wii stand. 

Yeah it lools like a lot , but it's not that bad or hard to have set up. Hardly ever have to remap, unless something gets unplugged accidentally.

I have been buying usb controllers for most of my emulated systems.   I thought you could save controller configs on a per core basis, but it looks like this has changed in recent RetroArch updates.

Is it possible to create a config file for each core with the appropriate controller mapped.   Then get launchbox to load the correct config via command line when launching a game?   

Yes as far as I know, and last time i messed with RA (a month ago), I saved each core config as it's own.  But I have rocketlauncher call it up in the module settings, so I don't know how to do it with rocketlauncher.  I think you do command line stuff in a field somewhere.  But still, if you unplug anything, it's going to be the wrong controller when you plug something else back in and then the original controller in after it.