LaunchBox Community Forums

7-zip returned an error while trying to extract the archive

rwfresh

Hi All, getting the error '7-zip returned an error while trying to extract the archive' when attempting to launch Arcade roms (mame). Only happens when i have the 'extract ROM archives before running' checked in the emulation settings.

Do i want pre-extraction with Mame roms? 7-zip is working normally from what i can tell. Thanks!

• 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Hello All, newbie here.  I recently installed Launchbox 13.0 and loaded a bunch of SNES roms from an external drive.  The roms are zipped up.  I am getting this same "7-zip returned an error while trying to extract the archive" error message when I try to launch a SNES game. I do have 7-zip installed.  Any suggestions? Do I have to unzip all of them?

As long as you don't have an overzealous antivirus program quarantining some of your LaunchBox files we use a 7z dll placed in the proper spot by the installer to unextract files. If your emulator supports reading of zip files (or whatever extensions yours are in) then you can go to Manage Emulators and just change your emulator to not extract archive on launch and probably avoid that process entirely.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if Launchbox can sort through this but some sets, like a Tosec set, zip up multiple versions of the rom in each zip. I recommend unzipping SNES anyway as it takes up no space, but open one of the roms in 7z and see if there is just one file in there or many. If there's multiple files I don't think the launchbox unzip feature will work. Edit: If you can't manually open any of the files in 7zip that usually means you didn't download the full files and will need to replace the set.

Edited by fromlostdays

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

I get the same error, and I think it's because my zips are zstd format.  I don't think Launchbox can deal with this format?

-----

UPDATE:  I just downloaded the latest 7z with zstd support, copied 7z.dll and 7z.exe to LaunchBox\ThirdParty\7-Zip folder and now my games are working again!

Edited by NeHe