LaunchBox Community Forums

Steam - Has it become crap?

PowerCooker

Ive had this awful feeling for awhile now but everytime I switch on my gaming pcs and steam boots up I just end up feeling sick and disappointed when I'm shown the frontpage on the store and see nothing but endless bullshit android/mobile phone games and then seeing steam lie and pushing these games as -top sellers- or claiming my friends have them and then when I ask them they have no idea what I'm going on about.

Ever since green light was removed it seems that ANYONE can just give steam $100 and then steam will instantly put this on the front page no matter how crap or how unfinished it is and then push that rather than a decent game. I haven't enjoyed anything on steam in MONTHS now because all the AAA titles these days seem to just be super short/over priced/joke priced dlc and the games I have been wanting to play usually just end up disappointing me because there either too short or nothing like what I expected.

I remember when steam used to have amazing games like L4D2/Dragon Age/Oblivion and dozens of other great games.......I turn steam on today and I just get force fed android/mobile games not matter how many times I click NOT INTERESTED.

If it wasn't for my launchbox with games like persona4/shenmue2 etc etc etc I think I would have given up with gaming all together. I was excited to play Sega hard girls VS Neptunia..............which I pretty much completed in a weekend..........yet Nep7 took me several months to complete fully (I can only play on fri and sat due to work etc)

I know some of my friends on steam feel the same way and I was just curious has anyone else here pretty much just stopped playing on steam and just sticks to there launchbox? it just feels as if steam doesn't care anymore and just wants to make a quick buck without actually caring about the customer anymore

Honestly, i don't go to Steam to browse thru pages upon pages of games to decide if i want to buy or not. 

When i see a PC game reviewed elsewhere, i'll log into Steam, and add it to my wishlist and track it there.

The front page has always been too busy for me, but thats just me. There still are too many great games up on Steam

that I'll proabably never finish in my backlog. (differnt topic) I picked up two great little titles just the other day, Gunmetal Arcadia / Zero. They're both

nice lil retro titles that harken back to the NES days. It's got great controls, good story, and even better OST to match. Don't give up on Steam my friend...

• Like 1

I've never been much of a Steam fan, preferring GOG much more because I gravitate to classics over newer, mostly overhyped games and I like DRM-free. I'll often go months between logging into my Steam account (I am playing Shadow of Mordor right now, so I'm in one of my "on" phases). Steam to me is useful for Japanese games because those publishers are mostly terrified of something like GOG and for oddball games that aren't likely to come out anywhere else.

well I JUST found out that Fate has been released on steam - for ONCE

and that it was released like a week ago........but because of all the bullshit android/mobile games plastered all over the store page I never saw it. Went to look at new releases and had to go back 7 pages to find that 1 game among all the crap android style games

Seriously people give EA shit all the time but at least Origin isn't full of this crap

steam sales are a joke unless your Russian and the games actually ARE on a sale

Everything ive ever seen on steams-so-called sales has been cheaper on ebay or g2a or gmg or many many other places

I get it, steam bullshit us these days and lie because to them its all about profit now...........HOWEVER I do math as part of my job..........and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this BUT : - the games are not physical, your downloading a copy from a set of HDDs in a server room, you don't own anything physical and everything is digital. No money is being lost on making physical copies, you sell X game at 15-20 and you sell MORE of it because people want it/see its going cheap/buy from you which = to YOU actually making more money because no physical copy is being sold only a digital download. You sell a game at a higher price like 40-60 and only the rich lot buy it like the DOA5 costumes which = to LESS sales which = to LESS more which = to LESS profit

steam giving us the whole bs of - we let companies choose how much to sell a game at - I'm sorry that's just bullshit on a grand scale. I'm no steve hawkings but I'm sure as shit that at that meeting ONE person would have explained what I just said to them at that meeting. Multi-million dollar companies cant be that stupid to not realise what ive just mentioned

Wow, this is just so full of garbage. While the Steam sales are not as good as they once were they are not "crap" and to compare them to "purportedly gray market" key providers such as G2A or GMG who have been accused of obtaining their keys through dubious methods is hardly fair. Of course someone obtaining goods illegally will sell them cheaper than a legitimate business. Steam is the one providing the servers and tech support while G2A and GMG do not.

You can call Valve / Steam letting the companies "BS" all you want but it is a fact just as it is up to the game devs to set the sale price during a sale.

I am now locking this thread because it really is nothing more than an nonconstructive rant.