LaunchBox Community Forums

Theme DLL issue

Retro808

Just tried to install NoshOnThis theme and unblocked all the plugins related to it. When I switch to the theme I get this DLL error. Outside of this error my BigBox runs fine.

DirectX 12 is updated on my machine and Visual C++Redist 2017 as well. Saw on the post for Nosh's theme someone update these and the error went away. For me no luck.

Anyone have any idea what dependencies this error is talking about.

Capture.JPG

That normally happens when you unblock the DLL while BigBox was still running in the background (even when you close it and you're back on your desktop it can take a few seconds until the process is fully closed in the background).

Rebooting your PC should fix it. But better check the DLL file after the reboot again if it’s still unblocked before you start BigBox/LaunchBox.

No luck. 

Reboot so I know LB/BB is not running, made sure the .dll was unblocked (plugin in the theme folder) and same error. 

Reboot, put the .dll in the main LB plugin folder and BB will not launch due to the same error. 

Something weird is going on because the AO BigBox Custom .dll will not even unblock. I downloaded an unblocked it but Windows still says it is blocked. So I tested with something simple like the quote of the day plugin. Downloaded it, right clicked and unblocked, and it works fine. That does seem to be a pretty simple plugin, but at least I know I can unblock a plugin .dll and it work. 

This pc was only built for LB/BB so anything loaded on it was specific to emulator needs or LB/BB needs. 

Windows 10 (not Creators Update), 7700K, 1070ti, 16GB Ram

Edited by Retro808

Hmm.. that’s indeed odd.

What you could also try is to delete the theme and re-download it. This time unblock the whole .zip file before you extract it to your theme folder.

EDIT: Also make sure to delete all other versions you have of the plug-in in your Metadata and main Plugin folder before you try that.

Edited by CriticalCid

Just checking, but are you running Windows 10 as 32 or 64-bit? I'd be surprised if you're running 32-bit, but if you are it might explain that error with SlimDx which has separate 32 and 64-bit versions. Also, what's the error you get with Ao.Bigbox, and what version of Ao.Bigbox?

Edited by eatkinola
added question about Ao.Bigbox

@eatkinola I am running 64bit. The error I get is the one to right click and unblock the dll. Issue is I did that and it still says I need to do it. I have even deleted it, downloaded a new one, right clicked the zipped file and unblocked, then extracted to plugins folder and it still says I need to unblock.

The Ao Bigbox version I downloaded is Ao.Bigbox-2.0.1

I just tested a couple other plugins and had no issues with them (Startup video manager for one). For some reason my pc does not like the .dll in your plugin and the one from Nosh's theme. Those are the only two it has given me issues with. 

I figured out the issue with the .dll from Nosh's theme for the SlimDX.dll. My pc did not have Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable installed. It had 2015 and 2017. So installing 2010 fixed that issue. I can confirm that was it because when I uninstall it I get the error. 

Now to try and figure out why I cannot get the .dll from eatkinola's Ao BigBox customs unblocked. 

Glad you got that first issue resolved. As for the second (Ao.Bigbox), I found this solution on another forum. It's for a Windows 7 install but might also apply to you. I use W7 myself, and I've never encountered this problem. See if the solution below works for you -- zipping and unzipping the dll, then see if the unblock sticks. I admit it's a strange problem.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/clicking-on-unblock-for-a-files-security/9a6f5cfb-d0f8-4f50-9328-8aa2cad3a352?auth=1 

I have found that zipping the files and then unzipping them does the trick when a simple click of Unblock doesn't stick. Not sure if it matters, but I used "Send To > Compressed Folder" to zip and WinRAR to unzip.

@eatkinola Thanks, but that did not work. Even tried unblocking and rezipping from different folders. Heck I even dowloaded from another pc, unblocked, unzipped, and transferred to my game cabinet with no luck. For some reason it just does not like that specific .dll. I can download any other pulgin and unzip the .dll and the plugin works fine. 

I am going to load BigBox on my laptop and test BigBox and your plugin on the laptop see what happens. 

Edited: After several reboots it works not. Not sure what the heck it was.

• 3 years later...

Little late to this, but Win 10 may give you the error telling you to select the file properties and unblock the (usually) DLL file.

Only problem is the unblock selection doesn't always manifest.

Try this page: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/129101-add-unblock-file-context-menu-windows-10-a.html

You can download a registry modification that adds "Unblock" as a menu option when you right-click a file.

Works very well.

For those that want to trust it and/or me, I've attached the file below. Simply download and install.

As with any registry modification, of course it's always recommended to make a backup, and I'd certainly view the file in a text editor before adding it to my registry. But as I said above, it worked perfectly for me.

Add_Unblock_context_menu.reg

1 hour ago, timekills said:

Little late to this, but Win 10 may give you the error telling you to select the file properties and unblock the (usually) DLL file.

Only problem is the unblock selection doesn't always manifest.

Try this page: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/129101-add-unblock-file-context-menu-windows-10-a.html

You can download a registry modification that adds "Unblock" as a menu option when you right-click a file.

Works very well.

For those that want to trust it and/or me, I've attached the file below. Simply download and install.

Yeah, this was solved well over 2 years ago.

I thought so as well, but recently I've had a few issues with DLL files not being accessible It's been a while since I'd seen it, and the "old" fix wasn't immediately accessible any longer.

Just in case anyone else runs into that issue. Even if it was solved well over two years ago...