LaunchBox Community Forums

Something doesn't work quite right when consolidating roms

Landcross

So, I'm quite new to Launchbox but I love the whole launchboxDB idea and especially the merging feature in Launchbox. When I heard that the beta supported automatically merging roms based on alternate titles, I immediately installed the beta. I've been slowly adding a lot of missing alternate titles to the database (I kinda envy the future users who don't have to do that anymore but can merge everything with the press of a button :P), but today I noticed something interesting.

There's this gameboy game called Sea Battle. It has 2 alternate titles on the database; a German and a French title. Launchbox correctly identified the English version (I added the roms just before I installed the beta). However, the consolidating roms feature does something weird: it did merge the German and French titles together in a game with the French title as main game, but it did not merge the German and French title together into the English version. In other words, it was like this:

• Sea Battle
  • Schiffe Versenken
  • Bataille Navale

It created this:

• Sea Battle
  • Bataille Navale
    • Schiffe Versenken

But it should have created this:

• Sea Battle
    • Bataille Navale
    • Schiffe Versenken

• Like 1

Just now, DOS76 said:

Interesting as a quick fix you could add an additional app and add the one that didn't get added correctly until this can be looked at.

Well, the quick fix is just manually merging Sea Battle together with Bataille Navale (which was already merged with Schiffe Versenken) ;)

But yeah, I'm not sure why it didn't merge those. I did have the newest local LaunchboxDB and I pressed the consolidate button minutes before I came across this. I just realized though that I can unmerge all three again and see what happens when I auto-consolidate again. I'll report back in a minute.

Ok, here I am again. I expanded the single Sea Battle (which I merged manually) into 3 separate games again. Then pressed the consolidate roms button and it did exactly the same as in the first post. It merged the German and French titles together, but didn't merge both into the English version.

Just now, DOS76 said:

so if you use ctrl and left click to select all 3 games and right click on Sea Battle it doesn't consolidate all 3 at once

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but I'm talking about the automatic consolidate feature (in the beta) that merges roms based on their alternate titles. Tools -> Consolidate ROMs

Manually merging works perfectly fine.

Another thing the automatic consolidate feature is doing wrong: it's merging Donkey Kong Land and Donkey Kong Land 2 (both from the Gameboy) together, but they're clearly separate games. I've tried it multiple times and it consistently merges them.

That's 2 'bugs' already, should I report those in the issue tracker or is this topic enough?

Edited by Landcross

12 minutes ago, Landcross said:

14 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

so if you use ctrl and left click to select all 3 games and right click on Sea Battle it doesn't consolidate all 3 at once

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but I'm talking about the automatic consolidate feature (in the beta) that merges roms based on their alternate titles

oh yeah I've had all my games added for a long time now so I've never gotten to use the auto consolidate feature only the manual one.

yeah it struggles on certain games with parts one and two

1 minute ago, alexis524 said:

silly question, but, are you sure you're not selecting both titles by mistake? 

Nope, it does the same thing even if I have not a single game selected.

Another thing I found: like I said above it wrongly merges Donkey Kong Land and Donkey Kong Land 2 together even though the database has listed 'Super Donkey Kong GB' as alternate title for Donkey Kong Land. The thing is: Super Donkey Kong GB is nowhere to be found in Launchbox either, but I do have the rom. Thus, it probably merged Super Donkey Kong GB with a whole other game too. The feature is clearly messing things up. Is there any way to search through merged titles (to find the wrongly merged Super Donkey Kon GB)?

• 2 weeks later...

The alternate naming still don't work as we expected. I've imported recently the full genesis romset and many roms that don't have the first sorting title (USA) doesn't find their entry, next i check if the alternate name is on the database and it is. Is need to improve. Manually when you edit the alternate names are found, but not in the import rom process. And emumovies still failing if we don't have the exact hyperlist/nointro naming. The alternate naming needs more work to be really useful. The alternates need to work on importing and merging, and the scrapper maybe could retry emumovies petitions with alternates if first title doesn't find anything. And please add the rename all option, it's a mess than any change on the database results on missing info or duplicated data.

@Jason Carr

12 minutes ago, Freestate said:

The alternate naming still don't work as we expected. I've imported recently the full genesis romset and many roms that don't have the first sorting title (USA) doesn't find their entry, next i check if the alternate name is on the database and it is. Is need to improve. Manually when you edit the alternate names are found, but not in the import rom process. And emumovies still failing if we don't have the exact hyperlist/nointro naming. The alternate naming needs more work to be really useful. The alternates need to work on importing and merging, and the scrapper maybe could retry emumovies petitions with alternates if first title doesn't find anything. And please add the rename all option, it's a mess than any change on the database results on missing info or duplicated data.

@Jason Carr

Jason put out a new beta yesterday where he had changed some of the rom matching stuff, have you tried it on beta 16?