LaunchBox Community Forums

Bigbox low resolution

trellos

2 minutes ago, trellos said:

Hello,I don't know if somebody else asked this before ( my search didn't bring any results) ,is there a theme in low resolution for those who use old crt tv's for emulation?

And if not ,is it possible to make any?

As far as I know there is not a special theme for older resolutions or 4:3, most are made for 16:9, 16:10 with stretch. I think it would be a cool idea to make a 4:3 just for stand ups and crt's but a lot of those these days are also adapting to flat screen 16:9. I think the main problem and I can certainly account for this is not having a 4:3 source to test a theme on. I have some sony PVM's but not a connection for vga, just scart break outs.

12 minutes ago, keltoigael said:

As far as I know there is not a special theme for older resolutions or 4:3, most are made for 16:9, 16:10 with stretch. I think it would be a cool idea to make a 4:3 just for stand ups and crt's but a lot of those these days are also adapting to flat screen 16:9. I think the main problem and I can certainly account for this is not having a 4:3 source to test a theme on. I have some sony PVM's but not a connection for vga, just scart break outs.

Can we ask developers for it ? I think many people would find this a great idea.

Not sure if I am remembering correctly or not but I believe someone did make a low res CRT version of the default theme a while back but I really can't and won't swear to it.

I do agree though I think there should be some themes made for lower resolution CRTs. The problem is I don't think many people including the theme makers have a CRT to test them out on.

Yes but in the description its says for vertical AND arcade monitors so I figured maybe it might be worth a try.

So for now all I can suggest is to either suck up to a theme maker and see if they would be willing to work with you on something or take a look at modifying the default theme (or another) to suit your needs.

I would do it myself but I really don't have the skill set to do it.

1 minute ago, lordmonkus said:

I would suggest porting the default theme if you could.

I can tackle that. I do have some older 4:3 monitors at work and I might even fire up an older Windows XP machine just to make this and get the full effect. I might have to bug @CriticalCid's inbox along the way. I still have a very large queue of updates ahead of me but if patience is a virtue I can work on a little at a time. Updating art assets might be the tricky part but I do have experience with things like this back in the Hyperspin days.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, i'd say a text or clear logo wheel with Box and maybe a screenshot / video if that can fit in without too much clutter but I doubt that would work.

Maybe games list on either left or right taking up a quarter or 1/3 of the screen. Then whats left split that up in 2/3 : 1/3 split horizontally. In the 2/3 section at top put screenshot / video. And in the 1/3 section at the bottom a small boxart and some game info.

That's what i'm seeing in my head at least, obviously would have to see if it actually worked in practice.

I'm a terrible artist but i'm imagining something like this as a mockup.

59b3399cce5ab_Thememockup.thumb.jpg.ab2ca5de173ef0c1fa23ab85e2a070c8.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you all!!!! Thats tbe great thing about this community!!!!

Of course we need to keep it simple as the default theme or something similar.

My machine is a simple core duo with 8gigs of ram running windows 10

And iam pretty ok about performance using the default theme.

You guys know better,again thank you all for your interest ,iam pretty excited.

I actually made the original Minimal theme for and arcade cabinet that was 4:3 (and re-wrote it for 16:9 after much demand). It wasn't a CRT, but I'm sure it could be adapted very easily if it didn't scale right. Let me try to find my original file, I know I have it stored somewhere...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grila said:

I actually made the original Minimal theme for and arcade cabinet that was 4:3 (and re-wrote it for 16:9 after much demand). It wasn't a CRT, but I'm sure it could be adapted very easily if it didn't scale right. Let me try to find my original file, I know I have it stored somewhere...

This! The Minimal theme would be great for a cab.

• Like 1