LaunchBox Community Forums

Pressing No to Update Forces an Update

shinra358

when an update prompt comes up, pressing yes is supposed to start the update process. Pressing no is not supposed to do anything. But instead forces the download for the update on the next startup. It can't be stopped. It's not how it's supposed to work and when it was first implemented, it did not do this. Therefore it is a problem. Therefore it is a bug. And bugs go in this section. So therefore it was placed here. This is not normal behavior.

1 minute ago, shinra358 said:

That's not the issue. The issue is pressing no is not supposed to update. Doing what you say does not solve the problem, but overlooks it. Right now, yes/no option is now useless because it doesn't do what you tell it to.

Pressing no, simply means you are saying no thanks on this launch. It will then install on your next launch. As i said if you don't want it to auto install just uncheck the beta box and recheck it when you want to specifically install a beta or update.

As I stated, it never did this before. And it's not supposed to do this. It literally makes zero sense to even do it this way. It's basically forcing you to update regardless. What if ppl don't want to update atm or there is a major problem with something that you don't want to update to yet...

Constantly toggling an update option is highly anti-productive.

Edited by shinra358

yes I do. usually when programs have this option, you still have freedom to choose when to install it. I took this feature as downloading the update when you allow it to download without seeing the windows box as it updates. That's what I thought 'in the background' meant. So that the download box wouldn't be so intrusive. I've had this option on as soon as it was created and only recently have I been seeing it forcing the update on next startup.

Edited by shinra358

for it to be downloaded. and if you restart, it'll ask if you want to update again in which you can still choose yes or no. And pressing yes would install the latest update you last downloaded and pressing no wouldn't do anything. In the background usually means that it will be downloading without you seeing any sort of indicators bothering you during. That's what I took it for. Auto installation should be a separate option from this.

Edited by shinra358

3 minutes ago, shinra358 said:

yes I do. usually when programs have this option, you still have freedom to choose when to install it. I took this feature as downloading the update when you allow it to download without seeing the windows box as it updates. That's what I thought 'in the background' meant. So that the download box wouldn't be so intrusive.

Well with all due respect you chose not to install it so it didn't at that time as you specified. However it tried to install the next time you launched the program, most programs just say hey there is a update do you want to download it now? In this case there was no need to prompt you as you had specified in the options that you want beta updates and it was already downloaded to your system so it just installed so you wouldn't have to check the install the latest update button. As i said though this can be turned off in the options if desired.

" most programs just say hey there is a update do you want to download it now? "

yeah, and most programs keep prompting you if you say no on every restart of it.

I'll just turn the background option off. This is such a weird and uncommon way of doing 'background' downloads. And it's really not in the background since you are still seeing it and still waiting on it and still able to look at it doing so :P

This has actually been a feature for quite a long while now, and you are the first person i have seen who has taken issue with it to be honest with you. Most people like the fact that they don't have to sit and wait for the update to download, they are just prompted when it is ready to install and away it goes. As i said previously though you are free to turn this off, and if you don't want the program updating to betas at all there is a option for that also. Generally when people check the beta update box it is because they want the most up to date cutting edge version of the program, so i would hazard a guess that 99% of those people just click the yes button as soon as they are notified.

I've already stated that I had it on ever since the release and these past 2 weeks are the only times I see it auto install. Just because ppl don't say anything about a certain thing, doesn't mean it's not bothering them. There are many chances that they have it off or are just focused on features inside of the program. Pretty much I'm usually the only person that notices something whereas someone else will come along and say something about it months after I already have so...  And this happens alot. With this, steam games, emus, whatever. So whether only 1 person says something at the time or not doesn't make it not an issue.

Ive already said I was going to so I don't know why you have to say it again for a 4th time :P  I have no idea how you could possibly know what ppl want lol. The controller connectivity thing, not a single person ever said anything about. Yet I did. And it was fixed. Was that not still a problem because I was the only person that said something about it? of course it was. Because no one wants to keep turning off the program just to get their controllers to work for it over and over again.

The beta update box is not the option that controls the auto install. It's the background option that controls it and I've already gave 2 examples of how and why a person would like not to do it atm xD

The ONLY other program to do it this way is origin and steam and that is because of online purposes only. because of ppl have mismatching files, then their online play will keep desyncing. Every other program known to man, keeps showing the prompts on every launch.

Edited by shinra358

8 minutes ago, shinra358 said:

I've already stated that I had it on ever since the release and these past 2 weeks are the only times I see it auto install. Just because ppl don't say anything about a certain thing, doesn't mean it's not bothering them. There are many chances that they have it off or are just focused on features inside of the program. Pretty much I'm usually the only person that notices something whereas someone else will come along and say something about it months after I already have so...  And this happens alot. With this, steam games, emus, whatever. So whether only 1 person says something at the time or not doesn't make it not an issue.

Ive already said I was going to so I don't know why you have to say it again for a 4th time :P  I have no idea how you could possibly know what ppl want lol. The controller connectivity thing, not a single person ever said anything about. Yet I did. And it was fixed. Was that not still a problem because I was the only person that said something about it? of course it was. Because no one wants to keep turning off the program just to get their controllers to work for it over and over again.

The beta update box is not the option that controls the auto install. It's the background option that controls it and I've already gave 2 examples of how and why a person would like not to do it atm xD

The ONLY other program to do it this way is origin and steam and that is because of online purposes only. because of ppl have mismatching files, then their online play will keep desyncing. Every other program known to man, keeps showing the prompts on every launch.

Except Windows 10 :p, j/p

• Haha 1

Just adding my two cents...

If I set/checkmark 'check for updates on startup' and 'automatically download updates in the background' and 'update to beta releases', I would expect LB to download an update that is available, but never install the update as long as it asked me yes/no. So, if I tell it "no" to install the update, it should never take the liberty to install unless I say yes.

You can set Window to download and install automatically, or download and not install until you say so, or just notify that there is an update download available and you say when to d/l and install. I think this is the correct behavior. Yes, even Win 10 has this ability (can be set in group policy editor or registry in win 10 pro anyway).

In any case for Launchbox, I simply have it set only with 'check for updates on startup'. That way I choose when to download and install any update. If I want to get a Beta, then I go and enable that checkbox only when I want the Beta, and then uncheck it again if I don't want Betas anymore. You can have it your way with this method. I don't have any interest at all in the download in background feature. 

• Like 1