LaunchBox Community Forums

Export games list

pasteko

None that I am aware of but shouldn't be too difficult to do with the plugin system.

I have talked to @Nielk1 about a somewhat similar but different plugin recently, I asked him about making a plugin to export a list of rom files to a folder. This plugin would copy out a bunch of roms from their current location into a separate folder which you could then use as a streamlined set for something like a portable USB stick build.

He said this wouldn't be difficult to do at all so I would assume the same would true for outputting a simple list of games.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...

I just noticed today that there is some sort of hard limit in place preventing copying and pasting a list larger than about 1600 (messing with filters) or so of games. So if you are collector completionist like and want export an entire list of your 1000s of games to Excel, bear this in mind. @Jason Carr, is this something that I should submit in a bug report? I can confidently say that Windows at least can easily hold an export in the 10,000's in the clipboard as I copy and paste from SQL Server with tables much taller and wider in my day job.

1 hour ago, Hifihedgehog said:

I just noticed today that there is some sort of hard limit in place preventing copying and pasting a list larger than about 1600 (messing with filters) or so of games. So if you are collector completionist like and want export an entire list of your 1000s of games to Excel, bear this in mind. @Jason Carr, is this something that I should submit in a bug report? I can confidently say that Windows at least can easily hold an export in the 10,000's in the clipboard as I copy and paste from SQL Server with tables much taller and wider in my day job.

There should not be a limit. Just ran a test and was able to copy 1,600, 4,500, and 10,500 lines from the audit tool into Excel. 

You mentioned messing with filters. What exact steps did you take to generate the audit list you are trying export?

• 9 months later...
On 11/21/2017 at 10:27 PM, pasteko said:

Just found something today, when you change the view to "List view" you can select all games with CTRL+A then with CTRL+C copy all the list to clipboard and paste it in Excel or any other spreadsheet software.

🙂

Thanks for the tip! It works nice, but I noticed that neither the wikipedia nor the video link are pasted when using this method. The column are here, but empty.

The other way is to directly import the XML datafile into a spreadsheet. See for instance the documentation for Libreoffice Calc : https://help.libreoffice.org/latest/en-ZA/text/scalc/01/xml_source.html

In the last case you can directly select the columns/data you want to import.

Edited by zorget
complementary solution