LaunchBox Community Forums

Long Starup Times

Styphelus

Not sure what happened but with one of the latest betas, my Big Box now takes forever to start - almost 1 minute. It used to play the startup video and start right after but now I have to wait a good 20 seconds after the video plays before it starts. At first I thought it was waiting for the video to play but I removed the video and without it, it takes about 50 secs just to start up. After it starts everything is fine. 

Not sure which beta version it was. I noticed it a few weeks ago but didn't give it too much tough.

I haven't added any new systems in moths. I added 5 or 6 PC games in the past month but that was it.

Rebooting the computer? I turn my computer off every night so yes, I've done that. Yeah, it's strange. Not sure what would cause it to take so long to start now. 

It's a standard 4TB HD that is completely dedicated to my Retro gaming. It's not being used to run any other processes. 

Guess I'll just have to find a startup video that's 1 min long. I have a few but they all show the Hyperspin logo at the end. 

I just wanted to chime in, if you are running Windows 10, (I assume) powering down your PC everynight actually does not fully power down the machine, it places windows 10 is a very deep hibernation giving a false sense of shutdown so that when you power back on (wake up) Windows 10 boots quickly. Unless you turn this feature off (don't, things get weird) make sure you are rebooting once a week to free up system processes.

How do things get weird with hibernate off? I always turn it off. Also are you sure its automatic in Win 10 as shut down and hibernate are separate options in the shutdown.restart,etc menu. Not on mine obviously as I disable to free up the HDD space it uses.

Edited by spectral

1 minute ago, spectral said:

How do things get weird with hibernate off? I always turn it off. Also are you sure its automatic in Win 10 as shut down and hibernate are separate options in the shutdown.restart,etc menu. Not on mine obviously as I disable to free up the HDD space it uses.

Its not a hibernate per say, its a specific feature built into Windows 10. I turned it off and saw very slow boot up times even on SSD and also things started to freak out.

7 minutes ago, keltoigael said:

Its not a hibernate per say, its a specific feature built into Windows 10. I turned it off and saw very slow boot up times even on SSD and also things started to freak out.

This is the one I was talking about, not sure if its the same thing or not tbh.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2859-enable-disable-hibernate-windows-10-a.html

I mainly do it to get back the 6GB or so the hiberfil.sys file takes up with it enabled.

Edited by spectral

3 minutes ago, spectral said:

This is the one I was talking about, not sure if its the same thing or not tbh.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2859-enable-disable-hibernate-windows-10-a.html

I mainly do it to get back the 6GB or so the hiberfile takes up with it enabled.

Yes and no, on that page under Tip, "Fast Startup requires that Hibernate be enabled" is what I am referring to. If you disable hibernate completely then you are not using Fast Startup on your setup. Fast Startup is most often enabled by default on a fresh install of Windows 8.1 or 10.

1 minute ago, spectral said:

I've never noticed a difference in startup with it on or off tbh. I've not noticed any difference at all with the computer actually other than it freeing up some HDD space.

I believe you but speaking from experience my PC went kind of nuts with it off, so its on now for good.