LaunchBox Community Forums

Does anyone have any advice on setting up a NAS setup?  I am looking to store all of my media on a network that can be accessed by 5 pc's plus wireless devicess.  I also want raid configurable options for Mirroring and multi-striping.   Finally I would like the possibility to add additional storage.

Currently I gave about 12tb of media, but I expect this will grow quickly once I have more space available.  

Any suggestions? 

BTW, I'd also recommend a backup outside the nas. I backup weekly to another Linux box via rsync. 5 yrs ago, I was almost burned by a hard drive failure. Luckily, I salvaged the family photos etc. I built a more robust solution since then, and FreeNAS is part of that.

Freenas, openmediavault, or just plain 'ol linux are great choices for a NAS OS.

RAID5 all the way, using either ext4 or zfs, both will allow you to grow the array with new drives (technically I think ext4 will just rebuild the array while zfs has some fancy magic).

If you want even more security offsite backups might be for you (but its not free). I use crashplanpro and am very happy with their service and price.