LaunchBox Community Forums

Windows Apps via bigbox

nrukbs13

How would one go about using Big Box as a front end, similar to how Jason has it in his dev video?

Could Plex, kodi, chrome, firefox, etc, be put along side the Consoles, Computers, and Arcade icons he has there?  Is there a tutorial or instructions anywhere?  Also on a side note, does anyone know which videos and themes he is using in that demo?   I really like how it is setup.  Thanks!

Edited by greengeek

Just make a platform and call it whatever you like and import the shortcuts to your apps like Plex, Kodi, Chrome and Firefox, they run just like any other Windows game.

This video tutorial will show you how to import non Steam PC games, just use the same steps but instead of importing game shortcuts, import your apps.

Thank you @Lordmonkus & @neil9000

Is there a trick though or setting to get the extra top level menu?  He has a top menu for Arcade, Consoles, and Computers, then he has sub menus for the corresponding Platforms then games.  I am using Cityhunter as well with the premium version, but I only get 2 levels of menus instead of 3.  All my platforms show up, and under them the corresponding games.  I don't have a top menu that groups them into Arcade, Consoles, and Computers.  Thanks

Ran into one question while trying to create the Platform Categories menu.  Can one create a top level menu item, say Plex, that can be clicked on and starts up Plex instantly?  Or can it only function menu header, where one creates a menu item called Plex, that one then clicks on, that then goes to another screen to click on the program icon Plex to launch the program?

Ok, thanks.   Would be a great feature, specially for using BigBox as a front end for all media.  Would really compliment Music Box Alpha to have a quick launch for it as well within BigBox for those that have both products.  Currently I have Kodi acting as my front end launcher that has the menu items for BigBox, Music Box Alpha, and Plex (which is way over kill but looks really nice).  I would love to be able to remove it and  just use the other 3 apps in a similar manner having BigBox be both my game launcher and media programs launcher. 

• 1 year later...

Hi I know this is an old post, but it is related to the previous users usage of Windows Apps, I have a Arcade Cabinet, and cannot seem to figure out a way to close the Windows Apps (Netflix, Plex, Pandora...) with my Esc key.

I know a ahk will work but not sure how to implement it as there is no Emulator assigned to the Platform.

Here is my ahk, I also tried to compile the ahk to a .exe and put it in my game under additional apps and run it after my main program, but that didnt work either, thanks for you help

; This section closes Media Apps when pressing Escape

$Esc::
{
    Send !{F4}
}

4 minutes ago, icom053 said:

Hi I know this is an old post, but it is related to the previous users usage of Windows Apps, I have a Arcade Cabinet, and cannot seem to figure out a way to close the Windows Apps (Netflix, Plex, Pandora...) with my Esc key.

I know a ahk will work but not sure how to implement it as there is no Emulator assigned to the Platform.

Here is my ahk, I also tried to compile the ahk to a .exe and put it in my game under additional apps and run it after my main program, but that didnt work either, thanks for you help

; This section closes Media Apps when pressing Escape

$Esc::
{
    Send !{F4}
}

When using non emulators, you really should close apps/games from there own menu/pause menu, otherwise you risk corrupting save games if just force closing them.