LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch & wonderswan emulation question

Special T

1. I like retroarch and I would prefer to use it as my default emulator for most consoles. I prefer playability over accuracy/slowdown if possible. What consoles/cores would you recommend using retroarch to emulate as opposed to a stand alone emulator? My computer is a couple years old and I'm running Windows 10 on an x64 Processor (Intel Core i5 CPU S 760 @ 2.53GHz, 2534 Mhz, 4 Cores) with 8 GB of ram.

2.  I'm running into issues with the wonderswan core in retroarch (mednafen_wswan_libretro) it loads some games fine, however most games load to a white or black screen and the system just hangs there. Is anyone else having an issue with that core? The reason I ask is because in addition to a PC that I run launchbox on, I also have a raspberry pi 3 that I run emulationstation on and I don't have any issues running wonderswan games on the under powered raspberry pi 3. I'm ran all my games through clrmamepro using the latest NO-Intro dat files so I know my roms are correct.

1. Here is a link to some info on cores. There is another one somewhere I just did not search long enough. 

2.Wondwerswan or Wonderswan Color?

No issue here running either with Launchbox. I do not know if I have tested every game. Can you let me know a couple you are having issues with and I can test those on my system?

No I tried loading Buffers Evolution (Japan).ws in stand alone retroarch and it just goes to a white screen. I also updated the core again just in case and it still doesn't work

Here is the hash info for Buffers Evolution (Japan).ws just for reference

CRC32: B25A0635
MD5: 9B15B2236CAE605F7BC3BEA3859FDD36
SHA-1: 35EEA568F756BACF533BB9AAAD7E3239BA00E411

20 hours ago, Special T said:

No I tried loading Buffers Evolution (Japan).ws in stand alone retroarch and it just goes to a white screen. I also updated the core again just in case and it still doesn't work

Here is the hash info for Buffers Evolution (Japan).ws just for reference

CRC32: B25A0635
MD5: 9B15B2236CAE605F7BC3BEA3859FDD36
SHA-1: 35EEA568F756BACF533BB9AAAD7E3239BA00E411

Same hash info on mine.

I am using pretty much stock settings in Retroarch for Wonder Swan as I have not yet set that one to the specs I want so it is running pretty much as is. 

4 hours ago, Special T said:

Thanks for the reply Lordmonkus. Unfortunately I don't think that's the issue. I posted a topic in the Retroarch forums to see if anyone over there know's what happened (LINK)

If anyone here has any other suggestions, please let me know. Thanks 

I just meant that the controls are the biggest issue with it, as far as I am aware of all the games should work.

It might be a core problem someone on the retroarch forum stated they were having the same issue on thier Linux version of retroarch. I tried installing retroarch on a different computer and I'm still having issues with wonderswan games. Can someone try updating thier core on a Windows machine or trying a wonderswan game on a fresh install of retroarch?

It is the new core that is the issue.

I tested and in either a new update of RA (1.7.0) and the new core or and older version of RA (I think I have 1.6.7) and the new core the games you mentioned give a white screen. 

If use the latest build and and old core or and old build (1.6.7) and an old core they work fine. 

So it is the new core and not so much the new RA build. 

• 3 months later...

Hey all, I watched the video tutorial on YouTube for the WonderSwan and WonderSwan Color. In the video it shows the old core: -L "cores\mednafen_swan_Libretro.dll". I see this has been updated and I have typed in: -L"cores\beetle_cygne_Libretro.dll" as the Default Command-Line Parameter but neither system works for me. I ended up using Mednafen alone to get the WonderSwan to work. Though I still am unable to get the WonderSwan Color to work on either emulator. Is my  Command-Line correct? My WonderSwan Color ROMs are zipped with .wsc files within and I have "Extract ROM Archive Before Running" checked in Retroarch so that is not the problem.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Retro808 said:

The name of the core in the RA menus is Beetle Cygne, however the file name for the core is mednafen_wswan_libretro.dll. So you will still want to use the command line -L "cores\mednafen_wswan_libretro"

I tried the mednafen one prior but had made a mistake with it. Thanks for your reply as it fixed it up for me.