LaunchBox Community Forums

Sufami Turbo emulation in Launchbox

rtavani

I can successfully launch Sufami Turbo games using SNES9x but for these specific games, you need to use the "Load MultiCart" function (Insert Rom into Slot A) and have BIOS detected. Loading a ROM any other way does not work. I any trying to figure out how to do this in Launchbox, probably need a new set of commands and i think launchbox defaults to the generic way of loading and doesnt work, any help would be great, TKS!

You can modify the command line to anything necessary, unfortunately I have not messed with the Sufami stuff nor do I use the stand alone version of Snes9x to know the exact command line parameters required.

One example though to load Gameboy games using the Super Gameboy and BSnes core in Retroarch:

-L "cores\bsnes_accuracy_libretro.dll" "H:\Emulation\Roms\Super Nintendo\Super Game Boy 2 (Japan).sfc" --subsystem sgb

I tried using retroarch (snes9x core) and its a no go, all i get is a black screen. Searching the internet and have not really found any solutions as most prob just launch it directly from snex9x and and do not use a front end. Hopefully someone on this board will help. I have lots of other platforms to load and wont get to playing these game until I finish building my cab but it irks me knowing that this isnt finished yet

Some progress but not fully there yet.

With the stand alone Snes9x I was able to use the UI to load single and double roms, but of course this isn't the problem.

I can get it to load the 2nd cart of a pair if I have "Cart A" already set in the first slot which is part way there but of course this becomes a major hassle if you want to load a new game which uses a different "Cart A".

I was also able to get a single cart to load into the Retroarch Snes9x core, it requires the bios (stbios.bin) in the Retroarch\system\ folder like any other bios file.

Unfortunately for now I am at a total road block with this with only one very inelegant solution to this an by inelegant I mean its awful but it will work. You would need to have a bunch of different copies of Snes9x installed and in each of them you will need to edit the snes9x.conf file and look for the line:

Rom:MultiCartA   =

and input the full path to the first cart of the multicart set so it would look something like this:

Rom:MultiCartA   = H:\Emulation\Emulators\Snes9x 1.55\Roms\SD Gundam Generations (A) 1 Nen Sensouki (J) (ST).smc

Your rompath would be different based on where your roms are located.

You would then need to have each 2nd cart game that you want to pair up with a first cart point to the emulator that has the appropriate first cart.

I really wish I had a better solution to this but I could not find a single thing in relation to this that was of any help. It does appear from what little I could find that there is a "Special Cart" function within Retroarch for just this scenario but it doesn't appear to be "hooked up" for anything other than Super Gameboy and the Gameboy linking. This is most certainly an emulator issue and not Launchbox, hopefully someone has a better solution to this problem than mine because my solution, while it does appear to work sucks the big one. The on upside is that there aren't that many games so it wouldn't be that much effort in setting it up.

• Like 1

My rom extensions end in .SFC and when using standalone SNES9x i am only loading the roms into slot A only (and they work). I have the stbios.bin and placed it in retroarch/system folder yet when i tried to load a rom (using snes9x_libretro.dll core) all i get is a black screen (is that what you got as well)? Yea this is all crazy stuff to try to get it to work, i really appreciate the effort (guess im not the only one at home on a saturday working on these things, but hey, its fun)

If I load a single rom into Retroarch using the Snes9x core they load just fine but it appears to be just the single cart version of the game and I get an initial screen with some Japanese text. It does let me move past this and get into the game.5a4855eee7b33_SDGundamGenerations(C)AxizSenki(J)(ST)-171230-221302.thumb.png.5daa1715066f357c3846f985b24c6308.pngI also have no idea how to actually tell if the 2 carts loaded the way they should when it does work but when I load a 2nd cart into the stand alone Snes9x using the method I described above I don't get the screenshot above, instead it goes straight to this one after the Bandai splash screen.

5a485678c8902_2017-12-3022_14_58-Snes9Xv1.55forWindows.thumb.png.6324d67049c304a2f0ea2c3fab730388.png

The file extension doesn't matter as long as it's a supported one by the emulator and in this case both .sfc and .smc are fine. I had luck getting the single roms to load using Retroarch, the top screenshot from the above post was from RA but I wasn't able to get 2 roms to load using it.

• 5 months later...
On 1/3/2018 at 2:00 PM, rtavani said:

i noticed your rom file extension ends in .SMC  my roms end in .SFC, did you rename your file extension. For some reason I am having trouble launching from RetroArch (im using snes9x core)

I am curious if you ever got this working. I was stuck on this one for over a month. I decided to go back to it tonight and I got it up and running. Even though @Lordmonkus said .sfc is supported (which I am sure is correct) downloading a new rom set which was .smc and .fig is what got them launching just fine. Just thought I'd post for anyone else who looks here and in case it helps them.

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2019 at 6:25 PM, tallpr24 said:

also when importing the roms, i dont see the option for the system name"nintendo sufami turbo" how to you add this system?

Since the "system" is basically just a cartridge adapter and doesn't add any hardware it is not segmented as a separate platform in the Launchbox database. Name it whatever you want (I just set it as "Bandai Sufami Turbo") and set it scrape as "Nintendo Entertainment System" as the Sufami Turbo games in the LB database are cataloged there.

Also having no luck so far getting Sufami Turbo to work with Snes9x in RA. Have the BIOS but just get a black screen, does seem to have something to do with how the ROMs are loaded. I'm using the No-Intro set, might try to find one that is structured differently.

Satellaview has been a nightmare as well...

23 minutes ago, tallpr24 said:

i got satellaview to work using snes9x in retroarch

"Same", except that a lot (most of what i've tried so far) of games don't boot, window never even appears. It might just be that is the state of comparability at the moment but I got the impression from posts here and there that it was a lot higher in terms of the games even starting. It seemed like some modifications to each game may need to be made or I might need a different set. I started with No-Intro for that as well for now.

• 1 month later...