LaunchBox Community Forums

An idea to encourage moderating

diamondgeezer

Hi there just lately there does not seem to be to much interest in people wanting to moderate submissions and we seem to be getting a backlog , i have 54 pages that need approving/rejecting so i was wondering if you could either make an award scheme for moderating  I.E  a medal or a arcade character next to a users name for modding a certain amount  ( 500 = pacman 1000 = mario etc ) or maybe after  we have submitted a certain amount of artwork etc it automatically opens the moderation page where we have to moderate say 5 or so submissions before we can add any more 

The reason i say this is because things are taking so long to approve that others are adding the same artwork and then we are ending up with 2 lots of the same submissions and then have to spend the time to delete one of them

I personally think that when a person reaches a certain amount of approved submissions, the requirement for approval should go down, if a person has submitted for example 1000 approved submissions they should only need 2 other people approving their submissions, hit 5000 and they only need one. That will alleviate the moderation queue.

For example I've submitted 10786 changes, 10759 have been approved, 24 rejected (and out of the rejected, most have been resubmitted with better explanations and then approved). I've also currently got a bunch of submissions with 2 approvals and it's been like that for about 4 days now. If I only needed 2 approvals the changes would already be live.

What do you think @Jason Carr?

edit: Also @diamondgeezer's idea of an award scheme is a good one. I'm not sure about the forced moderation though, there are certain things I can moderate fairly easily, others I have no clue about, and waiting 30 seconds between moderation whilst the next page loads is too much..

Edited by Belgarath
  • Like 3

Yeah, I am working on the moderation performance issues as we speak. I fixed a number of errors yesterday and I'm working on performance today. I know that performance is the biggest reason why we've been having trouble getting things moderated, and the problem is that previous performance fixes we've done were only temporary.

I'm not really sold on reducing moderation requirements for long-term contributors, but I will give that some thought. Per the badges, that is something I would love to do but it requires some significant work integrating the forums and the games database sites (which currently use two separate accounts), so it's a royal pain to implement. But hopefully I can get that in eventually. :)

• Like 1