LaunchBox Community Forums

Saturn Emulation Mednafen or Retroarch

johnnyskullhead

I've never setup Mednafen personally but the Saturn Mednafen core seems to run pretty good and a few of the missing options from the stand alone have been added to the core now so I would suggest using RA. I also believe there are some MednafenGUI programs out there too not sure how up to date they are.

One of the main differences I have seen between the stand alone Mednafen and RA versions is the RA version does require a little more CPU to drive it. My system (AMD 8350 @4Ghz) is just on the bubble of being just barely fast enough to run the RA core. I can run it perfectly fine for the most part but I do get the occasional audio crackle.

There are 3rd party GUIs for Mednafen but I haven't found one that I like, This one here is the newest and more fancy one though if you wanna take a look at it https://medlaunch.info/

I just set my Mednafen up manually editing the config file which does suck but that's more to do with the fact they put every single emulator core setting in a single config so navigating through it gets to be cumbersome at times. It would be nice if they broke up the different sections of the config by system. They do have very detail documentation on their site though and you really don't need to configure too many settings at all to get the most out of it.

One downside to the stand alone when compared to the RA core is the lack of CHD support and the devs have stated on their forums that have no plans to ever put that support in.

• Like 1