LaunchBox Community Forums

very few series in metadata

kal9000

I've noticed that most games in my launchbox don't have a series tag. Even series which I would expect, like Mario and Sonic aren't showing any data. I've tried running the 'download meta data' for all games and that doesn't seem to fix it.

Are most games just lacking series data?

41 minutes ago, kal9000 said:

Interesting. I looked at the gamesdb and I didn't see where that info is stored there. I wonder how to contribute...

You can contribute to the database by going to gamesdb.launchbox-app.com, create an account there if you don't have one yet, search for a game and edit its data, then wait for the moderators to approve your changes (you need 1 approval from 3 different moderators for your changes to be merged into the database). You can also moderate other people contributions by going to gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/moderation. Just make sure you follow the rules.

7 hours ago, kal9000 said:

I signed up for gamesdb, but there's no series option on the edit screen that I can see. Maybe it's coming from somewhere else?

I do not believe it is a field available in Launchbox DB. At least I have never seen it. The series info likely comes from wikipedia since Launchbox also pull metadata from there. 

27 minutes ago, kal9000 said:

Ah, maybe that explains it. I never pull metadata from wikipedia as launchbox recommends against it.

Hmmm, I don't think I have seen that. When you import I know the metadata screen simply shows "(recommended)" after the Launchbox database listing. However, on the wikipedia listing it does not show not to use it. 

No not in the program itself but it has been recommended not to use it. I recommend you not use it personally I feel it has more bad info than good the way they handle games which is by the game means if you get wiki info for it you could get stuff that pertains to a completely different platform as it doesn't differentiate well.

Oh yeah it doesn't say 'not recommended', but it does say 'recommended' for gamesdb and leaves wikipedia unchecked so I guess it's kind of implied that it's not recommended.

A feature I would like would be to scrape Wikipedia just for the series data and nothing else, since that seems to be the only source available at the moment, unless launchbox can start using giantbomb api or something.

• 2 years later...