LaunchBox Community Forums

Theme ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.

qu1r0s

Hey guys, i don't know if there is another thread like this one on here. I have an idea for a theme but i can't get it myself (and i tried with visual studio), so i was thinking that maybe those with the ideas but not the skill, can express them here and if anyone have the time to do it (or if anyone wants to),  our ideas may become a reality.

I love themes with big videos and also love themes with backgrounds, so i've been using Grila's work in Translucent, amazing as all his themes. That said i've thought in a couple of views for a new one. I don't even know if this is possible but here we go, don't kill me for the bad quality of the images, i'm new with photosop.

1º View: a game view, without a wheel but you can add one (with 3 to 5 games), also  i would like to see the cover or 3D cover but i didn't know where to place it. The icons are missing, i would like them below the publisher. We can look for another place for the genre, and place there the name. This view is based in some images i saw on year in review section in Letterboxd.

5a942f82d1b52_Sinttulo-3.thumb.jpg.f8bb1c405d6e30db168519919dbe176b.jpg2º View: selected game view with no information and the options at the bottom of the screen, and a 16:9 format video.

gamedetail.thumb.jpg.0339ead18cbd7cb0a3be5ae32e81e00c.jpgI will try to make the theme by miself if no one is interested, but this will take months or maybe more. I'm not a designer and i did this in a few minutes so is just preliminary and basic.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey @shro2016 , firts of all thank you for your interest on the theme! i love your themes nesicaxlive and griddle boxview.

if i remember well those fonts are elephant and Segoe (Segoe Print probably), but was just an example made in 5 minutes, so make any changes you'd like to make, i trust your judgment.  I got a lot of work these days but I'll stay tuned, i'm sure that with you involved this will be amazing.

Done some work this weekend on it, keeping with your original designs as much as possible. Here are some screenshots to show progress so far.

5adcf3480fef9_Platform1-Draft.thumb.png.b94decd4a343acfb7656a1cabf4bc9e0.pngThe platform select screen. For some reason cannot get Grilas BBControl Plugin to work so at the moment displaying the time is not possible and the date is only updated on first load, hopefully will get the plugin sorted soon. Weather does work and allows you to set location via the included plugin config file, thanks @Grila for the plugin.

5adcf3398a9e3_Game1-Draft.thumb.png.efce6295abdc185d014dd2f27df6a041.pngThe Game Select screen. Stars will be changed as just placeholder images at the minute and not really in keeping with colour / style of the rest of the theme. Also some work to do on the genre banner but working correctly in most cases

5adcf34070422_GameDetails1-Draft.thumb.png.3fbb90c037b6a6a26e0409b9bed74f96.pngThe Game Details screen. Video is bordered by a redrawn laser outline (based on your original design). Clear Logo is displayed beneath and background image is displayed to the right but faded to black to left of video to keep the view as clean as possible. Not sure if it is possible to have the text lists horizontal rather than vertical as not seen this in any other theme but would be a great addition for the theme. @Jason Carr - is a horizontal list box for the menu items possible currently?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @Jason Carr - for the view in question it is the gamedetailsview - is it possible to use a cover flow style wheel for the text options ie play game, flip box etc. ? I’m assuming not as not seen it done before but just wanted to check before I change the design to accommodate a vertical list instead

1 hour ago, shro2016 said:

Thanks @Jason Carr - for the view in question it is the gamedetailsview - is it possible to use a cover flow style wheel for the text options ie play game, flip box etc. ? I’m assuming not as not seen it done before but just wanted to check before I change the design to accommodate a vertical list instead

Yeah, unfortunately the wheels will not work for the game details view. Currently the game details view only works with the text list views. Hopefully we can improve that at some point in the future, but it will admittedly probably be a while before we get there.

38 minutes ago, trellos said:

Please create a 4:3 low resolution theme,there is one but is in beta ,please create a theme for crt TVs.

Yeah, agreed. There should be some various themes that work decent enough, but it would be great to have a theme that's properly optimized for a traditional CRT.

My arcade has a 21” crt tv and it feels great!!! Iam using a theme from @Grila is in beta but it looks good!!! 

Hope there’s a complete theme for all those guys who want their cabinet retro style!!

heres a video of my cabinet using the theme.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

Thanks @shro2016, that was an amazing work. Sorry if i disappeared and didn't answer before, it's been almost a year but i've been working from 8 AM to 8 PM almost everyday since then, i just recently quit my job and came back.

What's happened to the theme, did you delete it? I would love to try it if possible.

Thank you again

Edited by qu1r0s

This message was posted 5 minutes ago...something went wrong and i uploaded a lot of images lol, so i deleted it and write it again, sorry for the inconvenience >.<

I'm using LB Plex Condensed by Grila since i came back and i liked the idea of 1:1 images so i've been doing some for my games.

The thing is that i thought that could be a good idea a complementary big box theme to use them as well with videos and logos, keeping it clean and simple. Is easy to create 1:1 images with covers in medium/good quality, and for me is amazing (and time saving) to have all the artwork of the same size.

I made in photoshop 2 different game views, one for 4:3 videos and other for 16:9 videos, so if anyone with the skills want to make this or other theme similar, feel free to do it, i'm just giving an idea

Theme project 4-3 game view.png

Theme project 16-9 game view.png

On 4/22/2018 at 3:48 PM, shro2016 said:

Done some work this weekend on it, keeping with your original designs as much as possible. Here are some screenshots to show progress so far.

5adcf3480fef9_Platform1-Draft.thumb.png.b94decd4a343acfb7656a1cabf4bc9e0.pngThe platform select screen. For some reason cannot get Grilas BBControl Plugin to work so at the moment displaying the time is not possible and the date is only updated on first load, hopefully will get the plugin sorted soon. Weather does work and allows you to set location via the included plugin config file, thanks @Grila for the plugin.

5adcf3398a9e3_Game1-Draft.thumb.png.efce6295abdc185d014dd2f27df6a041.pngThe Game Select screen. Stars will be changed as just placeholder images at the minute and not really in keeping with colour / style of the rest of the theme. Also some work to do on the genre banner but working correctly in most cases

5adcf34070422_GameDetails1-Draft.thumb.png.3fbb90c037b6a6a26e0409b9bed74f96.pngThe Game Details screen. Video is bordered by a redrawn laser outline (based on your original design). Clear Logo is displayed beneath and background image is displayed to the right but faded to black to left of video to keep the view as clean as possible. Not sure if it is possible to have the text lists horizontal rather than vertical as not seen this in any other theme but would be a great addition for the theme. @Jason Carr - is a horizontal list box for the menu items possible currently?

Did you guys ever managed to finish the theme. If so what is its name and where can I download it. I have been wanting something similar as well. Thanks

Edited by isilkin

Apologies @isilkin, I have been away for some time but just back with it now. I had a computer failure to and lost a lot of stuff (yes should know by now to backup!). 

I will have a look for the theme and pick up from where i left off - if I don't have it I will start again but shouldn't take long to get to the same stage I was at with this one.

Will keep you posted