LaunchBox Community Forums

FS-UAE - Need help with saving WHDLoad games

ghostarcade

Hey all. I've been following ZomBeaver's excellent guide to installing and configuring FS-UAE and running it within LB. It's a fantastic guide and must have taken him a long time to put it together, so a huge thanks for all the help. Eirulan's UUID application is another tremendous contribution. Amazing work.

So far I have everything working (WHDLoads, everything working in LB etc) and have tried to follow the instructions to the letter, but there's one thing I can't solve: Saving WHDLoad games within FS-UAE.

The options to save or load are both greyed out. I've set up a custom button that quits each game, but I can't save. I assume I would need to save first, then quit within the game before leaving the emulator in order to commit the save from RAM to my HD but I can't get that far yet. Do I need to specify a folder for my saves, or have I missed something else entirely?

Thanks in advance to anyone that's able to help. This Forum is full of really great people who are extremely helpful and supportive. Hopefully I've posted this within the right section.

Cheers,

Both saving and save states work with WHDLoad in FS-UAE. Saving itself (as in using standard in-game saving) has always worked, but save states were iffy in the past. I still just use normal saves, but save states work pretty well now that relative temp has been implemented.

You need to go into Settings -> Advanced Settings and add the following lines:

unsafe_save_states = 1
relative_temp_feature = 1

Normal saves are still preferred, but I haven't had any issues whenever I've tried save states with these lines.

• Like 3

No worries. I actually figured it out the following day after posting my query. It took a little bit of digging online, but Zombeaver sums it up above and it's useful to have here for others that might look it up.  I haven't had any issues with my save states thus far.  Works a treat!

• 1 year later...
On 3/7/2018 at 3:15 PM, Zombeaver said:

Both saving and save states work with WHDLoad in FS-UAE. Saving itself (as in using standard in-game saving) has always worked, but save states were iffy in the past. I still just use normal saves, but save states work pretty well now that relative temp has been implemented.

You need to go into Settings -> Advanced Settings and add the following lines:

unsafe_save_states = 1
relative_temp_feature = 1

Normal saves are still preferred, but I haven't had any issues whenever I've tried save states with these lines.

Sorry for commenting on such an old thread but I just wanted to thank you for this. I have watched your tutorial for setting Amiga up (thanks btw, great work) but I don't think "relative_temp_feature = 1" was mentioned in it. It is a couple of years old so that might be why.

The issue I had was using a save state in Alien Breed SE. The game would load just fine but when you tried to access a terminal it would crash with the message "Installed program has modified the VBR, detected on entering via "resload_FlushCache"". Tried looking this message up but the few things I found didn't help.

Adding the "relative_temp_feature = 1" seems to have sorted it - so long as I don't open another game? I dunno, but it's better than it was.

Edited by fatguy666

• 1 year later...

I have to revive this thread. I couldn't find any other instances of the issue im having. After adding the WHDload.prefs In Chaos Engine (only game I tried so far I get this message; "Installed program has modified the VBR, detected on entering via 'resload_DiskLoad"

Zombeaver you have an idea? or anyone else maybe? I added he relative_temp line in the advanced settings

*edit - I should have tried more games. the WHDload.prefs didnt even work for me. Upon trying a few other games, it doesn't let me quit with F10. I tried Naughty Ones, OutRun, and a few  others that don't normally use F10 to quit, and nothing. I have it in my main FS-UAE directory like your video said

*edit 2 - Now my Xinput_Controller_Button_9 = action_key_f10 doesnt work anymore. I dont get it uggh lol. This suddenly got frustrating. I should just give up on save states. Although for certain games like Lamborghini Challenge I dont have time to sit and play through the whole game. Other games like Rainbow Islands I would like my high score saved

Edited by cilohocla

• 5 months later...