LaunchBox Community Forums

GPU Opinion

iamsiincere

I have the option of either using a Radeon HD 5570 or a Quadro K2200. I'm more educated in using a Radeon HD series AMD card and the benefits of using s 5000 series for retro gaming but certain specs in the Quadro seem better but I know the Quadros are usually better suited for computing or CAD like software. Any Thoughts or Opinions?

I honestly no very little about the AMD cards, however most emulation relies on the CPU speed mostly especially the earlier systems. Some of the later systems may use a combination of the two but I believe will still be heavily slanted to the CPU side of things. I don't believe having more CPU compute on a graphics card will have any benefit at all, but as I said I'm not that familiar with AMD products. Maybe our resident AMD mod could chime in on this @Lordmonkus?

8 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I honestly no very little about the AMD cards, however most emulation relies on the CPU speed mostly especially the earlier systems. Some of the later systems may use a combination of the two but I believe will still be heavily slanted to the CPU side of things. I don't believe having more CPU compute on a graphics card will have any benefit at all, but as I said I'm not that familiar with AMD products. Maybe our resident AMD mod could chime in on this @Lordmonkus?

I should've been a little more detailed. Using the emulator alone isnt an issue (unless you're paying a newer arcade game like Garou) but when using Big Box as a front-end. Newer MAME games from the PlayStation era and later require more power. 

6 minutes ago, iamsiincere said:

I should've been a little more detailed. Using the emulator alone isnt an issue (unless you're paying a newer arcade game like Garou) but when using Big Box as a front-end. Newer MAME games from the PlayStation era and later require more power. 

To a certain extent yes, what CPU are you currently running? Most MAME and PS1 game use CPU only, and a GPU is only used for buffs like upscaling and shaders. Bigbox itself likes a GPU, although it is in no way essential.

5 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

To a certain extent yes, what CPU are you currently running? Most MAME and PS1 game use CPU only, and a GPU is only used for buffs like upscaling and shaders. Bigbox itself likes a GPU, although it is in no way essential.

I'm working on more then one machine. Ones a dual core Intel and the other is. Xeon Cpu. I only noticed the slowdown on the dual core machine. Whenever its scrolling through big box. Its using the IGP and has 4GB of ram. I ordered a low profile gpu for that one but figured I'd ask around when I start working on the Xeon machine (re-salvaged HP Z200). That's the one that will either have the 5570 or K2200.

3 minutes ago, iamsiincere said:

I'm working on more then one machine. Ones a dual core Intel and the other is. Xeon Cpu. I only noticed the slowdown on the dual core machine. Whenever its scrolling through big box. Its using the IGP and has 4GB of ram. I ordered a low profile gpu for that one but figured I'd ask around when I start working on the Xeon machine (re-salvaged HP Z200). That's the one that will either have the 5570 or K2200.

Yeah I would say the dual core is the issue there, I'm assuming its a low clocked/older CPU? And as I said Bigbox will run on most things but it does like to have a dedicated GPU in order to use all the bells and whistles, as I said not essential but a IGP is sharing bandwidth across CPU and IGP, with 4GB of ram which is pretty low these days. You could try upping the ram the IGP can use in the bios and test though.

If you already have both of these cards use the Quadro. I wasn't familiar with either card but after a quick Google search it seems that one has 4 gigs of GDD5 vram while the Radeon card has 1 gig of GDDR3 vram. The amount of ram isn't a big deal but the type is. In my HTPC I have an older Radeon 7800 series card with 1 gig GDDR5 vram and it works great for emulation with shaders and BigBox.

• Like 1

That also could be the issue.  When a customer calls me with an issue, if they tell me the video card failed and don't bring me the PC back then I can't test it.  It very well maybe a uneducated customer that gives up on it.  I just never would recommend d a Amd card. For the most part I install nvidia.  They are having issues with 4k for games but they are working on getting it done by updates etc but still have their issues just like Intel is having issues.  I don't know about amd and their issues.