LaunchBox Community Forums

Just finished up my arcade cab (less graphics which will get done someday) and thought I'd share my builds. All of these builds boot directly into Big Box and use a mix of GFCE, Critical Zone 1.8, and default themes.

Arcade Cabinet - First is a wall-mounted arcade cabinet designed from scratch in Sketchup but loosely based on a Donkey Kong cabinet. I used 3/4" and 1/2" melamine, a 2x4" frame and Plexiglas. Everything is modular and can be taken apart and put back together with a screwdriver and a crescent wrench. Controls are Happ Suzzo and a i-PAC2 keyboard encoder. Two USB controller ports on the front and wireless mouse and keyboard for when you need it. The monitor is a AOC 27" LCD that looks amazing! (2) hidden mount 50w 4" full range speakers and a 35w stereo board fill out the sound. (Please don't mind the mess in the pictures! Redoing my basement!)

At 60 FPS it runs up to Dreamcast on console, Noami and Sega Model 3 in arcade, and it runs as high as Gameboy Advanced currently for handheld but could probably do better.

PC Specs:

• HP Compaq Pro 6300 Small Form Factor Tower (Craigslist)
  • Intel Core i5-3570 @ 3.4GHz
  • 4GB of DDR3
  • 500 GB SSD
  • MSI Computer Video Card GT 710 2GD3H LP (Needed a cheap card for HDMI output)

Big Box Console - This was inspired by ETA Prime's review of the NUC Skull Canyon on his Youtube channel. Specs for the NUC Skull Canyon are here but I did overclock the CPU to 3.2GHz. There is 8GB of DDR4 2400Mhz RAM and (2) M.2 SSD @ 250 GB and 500 GB. I use 2 8Bitdo SN30 PRO controllers and these things kick ass. The controllers can run the entire system by unified automation with Controller Companion installed. Controllers even work perfectly with ScummVM! I travel a lot and this is perfect for the hotel.

At 60 FPS it runs up Nintendo Wii and PS2 on console and any Arcade game I can throw at it. No handheld on this but it could probably handle PSP no problem.

Surface Pro - This is for the plane. Work gave it to me and I didn't need it so it's a game pad now! Honestly this thing sucks for emulation but at least I can play up to PS1 at 60ish FPS. Use a Buffalo SNES USB controller that get the job done. Cat likes it cause of how hot it gets!

Thanks for looking and happy gaming!

IMG_7209.JPG

IMG_7210.JPG

IMG_7217.JPG

IMG_7174.JPG

IMG_7179.JPG

IMG_7183.JPG

IMG_7184.JPG

• Like 3

I love how you are incorporating that into the build of the room. Cats are hilarious, always love a warm spot.  Hey! get out of my laundry! It just came out of the dryer. On a side not I would highly recommend gameongrafix.com. I was able to work with a artist to design and print my graphics.

• 3 weeks later...