LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame not working

ninjapiratecat

I unzipped the BIOS files in the folder with my games. I wasn't sure if the files inside the zip folder should also be extracted but I tried starting the games both before and after and some of the same games are still not starting up. I can try and search and see if I am missing something else I need to run the games. The BIOS files were just a pack of BIOS for MAME. King of Fighters 2003, Street Fighter Alpha and Puzzle Bobble do not open. I just have 14 games at the moment but the rest are working fine.

7 minutes ago, ninjapiratecat said:

I unzipped the BIOS files in the folder with my games. I wasn't sure if the files inside the zip folder should also be extracted but I tried starting the games both before and after and some of the same games are still not starting up. I can try and search and see if I am missing something else I need to run the games. The BIOS files were just a pack of BIOS for MAME. King of Fighters 2003, Street Fighter Alpha and Puzzle Bobble do not open. I just have 14 games at the moment but the rest are working fine.

The bios files can be zipped. The 3 that are not working do you get an error or does Mame just not run at all? 

I must have corrected something Puzzle Bobble and King of Fighters are working now. The only game that isn't working is Street Fighter Alpha and I also forgot to mention I downloaded Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter. When I try to click to open those two games, the screen is black and the word initializing appears in the center for about half a second and then everything disappears and I am back at Launch Box.

35 minutes ago, ninjapiratecat said:

I must have corrected something Puzzle Bobble and King of Fighters are working now. The only game that isn't working is Street Fighter Alpha and I also forgot to mention I downloaded Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter. When I try to click to open those two games, the screen is black and the word initializing appears in the center for about half a second and then everything disappears and I am back at Launch Box.

For the two Street Fighter games what are the actual rom names? Could be you are using the clone versions and need the parent rom. But usually if that is the case an error would pop up saying files were missing I think.

The roms you have did you download them indiviually from a site or did you download a romset and keep only the games you want?

I downloaded just a few games individually since I wanted to get MAME working and test it out initially. Don't have any ROM sets. I attached a picture of what I unzipped for Street Fighter Alpha and Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter. (The two games that aren't working) I downloaded the USA Street Fighter Alpha and the USA Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter links that were in a list of links from the same website.

sf.jpg

mvs.jpg

I downloaded one MAME Romset from a website and not a single game is working. Not sure what to do at this point. It was a part 1 of many rom game packs. I tried downloading another BIOS pack but I can't seem to find one for the most recent version of MAME. I really don't know what I am doing. Does anyone offer any services where I could pay them to login to my computer to set this up for me and get this working? Not sure if this is plausible for anyone to do.

@ETAPRIME did a video a couple of days ago on his Youtube channel showing how to setup Mame, maybe that will help out. Definitely one of the bigger issues with Mame is matching up the rom set and Mame version. They don't necessarily have to be matching exactly but there certainly can be issues if there were any major changes and the further apart they are the greater the chances of issues arising.

Yeah not knowing the version of the romset can make your life difficult and unfortunately there are very few places that have up to Mame rom sets. The pleasure dome has them but its a private torrent site you need to register for and if you want to use it ona regular basis you will need to maintain a good share ratio or they will shitlist you preventing you from using it. There are some older sets that aren't too hard to find but then you are either stuck using an older build of Mame, dealing with broken games if you use a newer build or going through the hassle of learning how to use something like CLRMamePro to update the set using update packs. The most recent full set on EmuParadise is the 161 set, they do have the update packs but again you would have to use something like CLRMamePro to merge them into the set, you cannot just simply download and unzip them into the rom folder with all the other roms, that would actually break more games.

I guess you didn't download it from PleasureDome like I advised you to that truly is the best place to get the latest MAME rom sets I linked the exact names of the packs you should be looking to download.

" You can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink"