LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame not working

ninjapiratecat

Not sure what I need to do. I downloaded a zip file of MAME 0.196. I unzipped it and placed the application in my Emulators folder in LB. I installed some MAME roms and they were successfully added to LB. When I click to play any of the MAME games the screen just goes black for a half second and nothing happens. I went to install the BIOS for MAME and have the folder with the BIOS and inside are many zipped BIOS for MAME. The instructions I read for the BIOS says to look on my C: drive and put the BIOS folder in my startup MAME folder but when I unzipped MAME it was just an application, a SYM file and some config files and it didn't have a folder with sub categories or anything with the word startup. I don't know if this is why none of the games are working or if there is something else I am doing wrong. Can anyone offer any guidance? 

I started reading the tutorial but I am confused because most of my other emulators create a folder when unzipped with the name of the emulator and files inside but I don't have a MAME folder. Am I supposed to create a MAME folder specifically for what is unzipped when I download MAME? I keep reading to put things inside a MAME folder but I don't have one. I have a MAME folder for my ROMS but not a folder for the MAME emulator application.

Some zip files just have the files in a folder already when extracting and some don't. I'd suggest you just create a folder MAME inside Launchbox\Emulators and unzip your mame 0.196 there. Then follow the tutorial above. MAME will look at it's mame.ini file to see the location of your mame roms and bios. I think by default it looks in the "rom" folder that is created from unzipping your mame zip, but you can change that location in mame.ini if you want.

The version of Mame I use is specifically for the command line version and like I have in my guide you download the Mame installer from http://mamedev.org/release.html. That is the installer, when you run it it will ask you where you want to extract the files to, you can have them anywhere you like for your personal organization methods. In my guide I show my personal method that works for me. You do not have to have any roms in the \roms folder of your chosen Mame install folder but you will need to tell Mame where they are if you put them elsewhere, I explain that in my tutorial.

Oh ok, I wasn't sure if there was supposed to be a folder created since I had read on a page about the BIOS to also put it in a startup folder. I thought maybe this was already all suppose to exist somewhere after extraction. I will just delete everything and then download MAME from your link. I'll make a MAME folder to extract the files to and then go back to your tutorial. I usually keep all my emulators in my LB emulator folder. Thank you for the help!

I followed your instructions and the games are running. Thanks! I am using an Xbox 360 controller and pressed tab and mapped some of the keys but nothing is happening in game. There are a lot of player buttons you can program so I am not sure which ones are needed for a typical game? I was trying to play Burger Time but when I hit start or select nothing happened. None of the other games are working with the controller either.

burgertime.jpg

burgertime1.jpg

Those are the general player 1 controls, you need to go to other controls and set start to player 1 start and select to coin 1 (or whatever buttons you want).

If you're having problems with a specific game, when the game is loaded just hit tab and select "input (this machine)" so you can see what controls that particular game uses and bind them how you like.

If a MAME game doesn't work properly then MAME will tell you, if the game doesn't start at all and just goes back to launchbox straight away then you're probably missing files, in the case of Street Fighter Alpha you are probably missing the qsound bios, google it, place it where your other mame bios files are (or you can put it in your mame roms directory) and Street Fighter Alpha and a few other Capcom games should start working.

Typically all you will need to map is the Player 1 and 2 joysticks and buttons 1-6. The P1 Left Stick and P1 Right Stick is for twin sticks shooters like Robotron and Smash TV, the way I set those is the left stick uses the d-pad like normal and the right stick I set to the 4 main face buttons, it works great.

Thanks. I downloaded the qsound bios and just put it in where I have all my Mame Rom files and Street Fighter Alpha still isn't working. Is there a pack of BIOS or other needed files anywhere for say popular MAME games?

I also have a dolphin bar and Wii controllers with a Wii gun. Can I use this to play 2 player MAME shooting games?

Mame.jpg

I saw a thread here:

It said to change the file D6CF5EF5 to dl.1425.bin and to put it back into the Gsound zip folder. I did this and the game still won't start up. The Gsound zip folder is located on an external hardrive in my games rom files.

I did just put a stack of the MAME bios zip files into a folder I created called Startup inside the MAME emulator folder in LB. I don't know if that is what I was supposed to do or if this has anything to do with certain games not starting up as well.

mame1.jpg

mame2.jpg