LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox will not run

Kremlar

LaunchBox upgraded to 8.2, and since then BigBox will not open.  LaunchBox seems to open fine and I can play games, but if I try to launch BigBox from within LaunchBox or through the separate icon nothing happens.

Anyone have any suggestions before I start making things worse?

is bigbox.exe there in the Launchbox folder? If you right click it and choose properties, do you see an Unblock button? anti-virus blocking it?

if not, i would think you can just reinstall LB to the same folder and it will work.

2 hours ago, The Night Driving Avenger said:

yeah i think so, should i jump back a version

It would be good to know if you're having the same issue with 8.1, because then I can pinpoint where the issue might be. I have a hunch though that 8.1 won't work either, but it's just a hunch. Let me know and I can send you a link to download version 8.1. Otherwise, you might already have a copy of the 8.1 setup in your LaunchBox\Updates folder. :)

Sorry for the delay in responding.  Rebooting does not help.  The BigBox.exe file is not listed as blocked in its Properties.  I have no custom themes installed.

I rolled back to a previous copy of the LaunchBox folder I had saved and it still works, and is version 7.16.

I'm anxious to get my system working again with the latest LaunchBox, so looking forward to any suggestions.

Help!

@Kremlar It's good that you have a working copy of 7.16; that way we can help narrow it down. First off, make a backup copy of that folder so that we can go back to it if needed. Then we can upgrade one step at a time to see if it helps. I'll PM you a link to the 8.1 setup so you can upgrade it and see if it still works.

OK, I'm an idiot but I'm going to put my big boy pants on and post and man up and take the shame.  :)  Please don't be too harsh.

I think what happened is when the update to 8.2 was installed the default folder location was chosen, which was a folder inside my Windows user profile.  My actual Launchbox location is c:\Launchbox, which my Desktop shortcut still pointed to.

So, I think my LaunchBox got mangled somehow.  It is interesting that "upgrading" to 8.2 but choosing a new folder path resulted in my original folder LaunchBox to work, but not  BigBox.  I'm sure there's a reason for it.

In any case I reinstalled LaunchBox 8.2 over top my "bad" LaunchBox, chose the correct folder path to upgrade, and now BigBox launches fine.

FYI, when BigBox was not working it acted like it was not trying to open at all - no crash, no on-screen logo, etc.  If I opened Task Manager I did see BigBox.exe in there for a second, but it would quietly quit.