LaunchBox Community Forums

Can we disable GamesDB plugins?

Seriously, they aren't helping. This past week I've encountered so many terrible pending DB additions from plugins. The vast majority of them have been a plugin trying to upload the same image 3 or 4 times. Then there's the fact that without human intervention all the plugin will do is check to see if a category has an image and if not will upload whatever the user has. In many cases the user has an image the DB already has but they have it categorized differently so the plugin is just trying to upload a duplicate into the wrong category. Just now I came across Arcade - Control Information submissions that were just screenshots of a third party controller mapper that the uploader was using. The worst was an attempt to upload a screenshot of an unknown website's comment section as an advertisement flyer. I can understand wanting to add missing information or media to the DB but removing the step of the user having to check the DB first to make sure that the image isn't already there somehow doesn't seem like the best idea. Also, as previously mentioned, there's the fact that a plugin has no way of verifying the content of the images it attempts to upload beyond "Does file exist, yes or no?". The moderation team here is all volunteer as it is and I don't imagine dumping dozens of incorrect, automated submissions helps the process.

• Like 2

I am with you. 

From my point of view this plug in should optimised built in directly into launchbox with checks plus launchbox and bigbox should getting align with the gamesdb field, which currently is not.

that is frustrating sometimes, because why should i fill some dB fields if they will not transferring into lb / bb 

I agree, it's taking away any pleasure in moderation these past days with tons of the nintendo DS entries with 4 duplicate 3D box images every entry. The plugin is steaming like a train through the database leaving a mess and let others clean up the mess afterwards, while the uploader does not even know the mess it creates because of the inability to double check. Absolutely not ment as disrespect for your hard work @UnderwoodNC but it really ain't fun at the moment to moderate, seems like hundreds new DS games with duplicate images. @Jason Carr

To be fair to the plugins it looked like all of those quadruple 3D Box DS games were uploaded manually. I'd also like to clarify that I've always seen issues with the plugins, especially the adding the same/wrong image several times thing, it's just that this past week was particularly egregious.

16 minutes ago, Chaotic Viral said:

To be fair to the plugins it looked like all of those quadruple 3D Box DS games were uploaded manually. I'd also like to clarify that I've always seen issues with the plugins, especially the adding the same/wrong image several times thing, it's just that this past week was particularly egregious.

Could be but it does seem to be the plugin as in between those new games entries there where multiple images added to ds games as well by the plugin, with individual images you can clearly see the plugin created message, I don't know if it does so with new game entries as well.