LaunchBox Community Forums

8.3 USES MORE RAM THAN 8.1

MJRandJLR

8.1 LaunchBox uses 68 megabytes of ram 0.1 CPU LaunchBox 8.3 uses 89 megabytes of ram same on the CPU LaunchBox Next the one that came out last week uses 710.2 megabytes of ram and 0.4 CPU. I have both installers and I only use Windows games and I am on Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit April Edition. LaunchBox 8.1 is on a 256 gigabyte SSD Flash drive the 8.3 version is on my D drive. I have all the major releases installers of LaunchBox back to 6.8. And yes I do have a forever License. Both versions have the exact same data base of games.

Edited by MJRandJLR

I was comparing only LauncgBox 8.1 and LaunchBox 8.3 and LaunchBox Next in version 8.3 not BigBox. And as far as I know LaunchBox in 8.1 has all the features and more than LaunchBox Next 8.3 and the ram on my machine is lower on the old interface of 8.1 than LaunchBox Next version 8.3 or the old interface of LaunchBox 8.3. As I said LaunchBox only in version 8.1 is 68 megabytes. Old interface of LaunchBox 8.3 it is 89 megabytes and in LaunchBox Next in version 8.3 it is 710.2 megabytes.

Edited by MJRandJLR

6 hours ago, MJRandJLR said:

As I said LaunchBox only in version 8.1 is 68 megabytes. Old interface of LaunchBox 8.3 it is 89 megabytes

I have never seen ram usage this low in Launchbox going back to version 5.1 or whatever version was out when I first started using it. It has always used at minimum several hundred megs or more.

6 hours ago, MJRandJLR said:

LaunchBox Next in version 8.3 it is 710.2 megabytes.

This has always been the usual ram usage or even more.

Like I said I am on Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit April Edition and my LaunchBox 8.1 is on a SSD 256 gigabyte flash drive. And the LaunchBox 8.3 is on a standard drive witch is my D drive and theses are the numbers my Task Manager is giving me. So my wife and I wont be moving on to LaunchBox Next any time soon.

All I am trying to say is Jason says that LaunchBox Next is suppose  to be less on resources and with my findings for just basic LaunchBox nothing else that is not true. I am not saying no one should use 8.3 I am saying for low end machines like people who have shared memory with there graphic card that if you still want to try to use LaunchBox basic then 8.1 might be the way they want to go. My wife and I are handicap we just can't play anything that isn't mostly mouse control very well. So that is why we only do Windows games that are mouse mostly control so we only have 289 games running through LaunchBox 8.1.

Edited by MJRandJLR

Like I said, I have a crappy old HTPC with 2 gigs of ram (does have a dedicated GPU though) and the ram usage is not a problem.

Specs of HTPC:

Windows 7
AMD Athlon 3800+ @ 2.4 GHz
2 gigs ram
Radeon 7850 (1 gig DDR5 vram)
Some generic 160 gig hard drive
2500+ games

There is nothing wrong with being mindful of performance and system resource usage but at the same time you cannot cater to everyone. People want more and more features and you cannot do that without increasing the system requirements. Having said that I have not seen an increase in system resource usage and performance itself has gotten better.

My answer is to have a basic mode for LaunchBox and the bells and whistles setting for the people who have a great gaming machine. I am tying to come up with a answer so the most amount of people can enjoy LaunchBox. In some way at least.

Edited by MJRandJLR