LaunchBox Community Forums

Launching zsnesw on launchbox help

modables

So I made zsnesw a default emulator for Rom hacks. Is there a way to start the game and have it instantly launch because when I launch the game it takes me to the zsnesw menu and I have to select the game from there. I know I can exit the game quickly by setting KeyQuickExit to 1, but is there something similar to launching the game?

4 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

You will be hard pressed to find anyone around here that uses Zsnes so your best bet would be to check the documentation and see what you can do.

http://zsnes-docs.sourceforge.net/html/advanced.htm#command_line

So I got something. I used a Custom Command line Parameter and used the Sample Command (which was Zsnesw.exe "File") and replaced File with the ROM hack name and it opened the game without going into the menu, but it didn't launch the game so I got something.

11 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

I just downloaded ZSnes from here: http://zsnes.com/

And loading a game straight up works perfectly fine for me with no command line parameters at all.

So if that's true, then I think my problem is that my ROMS are Snes9x files. I deleted Snes9x a while back since I use Retroarch now for non-modded games, but they're still stuck as a Snes9x file format. I can't find the uninstaller in program files, and I deleted every trace of Snes9x in Registry. Any advice as to how to change the files to not be listed as Snes9x ROM will definitely help.

9 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Whats the file extension? it should just be .sfc. Its probable that you just had those file types associated with snes9x before, so they still are. As long as they are gamename.sfc they should work.

Alright it's fixed: after some research I downloaded a registry file that removes the snes9x icons and restarted my computer so they're back to SFC files. Some of the files I have are SMC which are Super Mario World Rom hacks so let me check back on if they open zsnes in launchbox.

File icon and associated program in Windows doesn't matter.

If the file is one that the software you want to load it with is one that can recognize and use it will use it and load it if you tell it to, either through the UI, dragging the file onto the exe or using the command line via LB.

If you open file explorer in Windows you can click on viewsVeiw.thumb.jpg.f6acb3a7795f9767343b584a6b550f9c.jpg Then navigate over to options and click the little drop down arrow (which is hard to see in dark file explorer) and this will open the options to change folder settings

folderoptions.thumb.jpg.ba5a885eda5ce9d2e46698eef0beed14.jpgThis will open the folder options form where you will want to click on the view tab

FolderOptionsForm.thumb.JPG.9ed98c6be1d730442c61d0624069d95c.JPGThen from there go down and uncheck the hide known file extension types then you can always see all of your file extensions even when they are associated with a program.

HideExtensions.JPG.93ea42b22c076973aebeb6d47381e7a6.JPG

2 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

If you open file explorer in Windows you can click on viewsVeiw.thumb.jpg.f6acb3a7795f9767343b584a6b550f9c.jpg Then navigate over to options and click the little drop down arrow (which is hard to see in dark file explorer) and this will open the options to change folder settings

folderoptions.thumb.jpg.ba5a885eda5ce9d2e46698eef0beed14.jpgThis will open the folder options form where you will want to click on the view tab

FolderOptionsForm.thumb.JPG.9ed98c6be1d730442c61d0624069d95c.JPGThen from there go down and uncheck the hide known file extension types then you can always see all of your file extensions even when they are associated with a program.

HideExtensions.JPG.93ea42b22c076973aebeb6d47381e7a6.JPG

Or in your 1st image just check the box that says "File Name Extensions at the top right. ;) 

4 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

File icon and associated program in Windows doesn't matter.

If the file is one that the software you want to load it with is one that can recognize and use it will use it and load it if you tell it to, either through the UI, dragging the file onto the exe or using the command line via LB.

So here's what's happening. I open  the game in launchbox and it takes me to the zsnes menu instead. I then use the sample command line parameter which was this,LaunchBox_2018-06-14_14-15-55.thumb.png.18fdeecbd15693c4581cbcd01222f402.pngHere is what I typed,LaunchBox_2018-06-14_14-24-21.thumb.png.ba8ea27b7ec26d95533724a40ec2f0ac.pngSo I open the game in launchbox and it works but the screen looks like this,zsnesw_2018-06-14_14-15-17.thumb.png.b3327c195686796cdff9e12a6e1d6b98.pngIt's then just a black screen. I did drag the file into the emulator and it opens up like normal though.

6 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

I just tried that rom hack with my setup and it loads up fullscreen and runs fine.

I think I see your problem though, in your first screenshot you have the "Use file name only" box checked, try unchecking that and see what happens.

It works! Seems that when I added zsnes it was preconfigured to have that box checked but it's opening up the game now that I unchecked it. Thank you so much!