LaunchBox Community Forums

Dreamcast GDI Files Conversion

Bobsaidwzob

I have a few dreamcast games with a gdi file and multiple bin files. I tried using chdman to convert them to chd files and they don't seem to work. I don't receive an error message but there is no new chd file when the process is complete. I'm not really that familiar with gdi files but I assumed that it's similar to bin/cue files with ps1. I know the file names match up with the text in the gdi file. 

One file for example, has 3 bin tracks. All the same name with (Track 01).bin and so on. I also have GDI to CHD converter which I think uses chdman in the background and that doesn't work either. Any help with how to get this to work or if I need to do anything would be great.

Adding another tool besides Neil's. Just in case.

Run the exe, and specify the source and the destination folders in the GUI and that's it. You even get the app minimized, and it lets you pause/play the process, and it will let you know once it is done (it can read subfolders as well so you dont need to run it on each GDI).

Dreamcast GDI to CHD.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Unzip this and drop both files into your rom folder and run the bat. This is what i used to convert mine and it worked fine.

Cue_or_GDI_to_CHD.7z

Tried this tool and the file converted fine but does not play in retroarch. I can't get any chd file to run, only my cdi files that I already had. 

12 hours ago, Bobsaidwzob said:

Thanks for your help. I was also using the dreamcast gdi zip before and I couldn't get any chd files. It was running normally but nothing would be converted once the process was complete. A little odd but I'll give the cue to chd a shot and see if that works.

I tried this tool too and I was having the same issue I was having before. Said the program was processing the conversion but no new file generated once it was complete.

I've attached a copy of a gdi file for a game that doesn't work either way. I have the corresponding bin files in the same folder with the same name. There has to be some reason I am just missing that causes this process not to work.

Thanks.

GDI.png

folder.png

5 minutes ago, Bobsaidwzob said:

Tried this tool and the file converted fine but does not play in retroarch. I can't get any chd file to run, only my cdi files that I already had. 

I tried this tool too and I was having the same issue I was having before. Said the program was processing the conversion but no new file generated once it was complete.

I've attached a copy of a gdi file for a game that doesn't work either way. I have the corresponding bin files in the same folder with the same name. There has to be some reason I am just missing that causes this process not to work.

Thanks.

GDI.png

folder.png

Are you using Reicast in Retroarch? That doesnt support CHD's yet, i use mine with standalone DEMUL and mostly standalone Redream.

Just now, neil9000 said:

Are you using Reicast in Retroarch? That doesnt support CHD's yet, i use mine with standalone DEMUL and mostly standalone Redream.

I am using reicast. It says the core support chd files under core info in retroarch. Redream also says it supports chd files. I got one chd file to run out of 30. The difference with that file was there were raw files along with bin files. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

1 minute ago, Bobsaidwzob said:

I am using reicast. It says the core support chd files under core info in retroarch. Redream also says it supports chd files. I got one chd file to run out of 30. The difference with that file was there were raw files along with bin files. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

It might be a CHD version issue then, i know that none of my DC CHD's work with either of the Reicast cores. Also the Redream core in Retroarch is very outdated and wont be updated as it has gone closed source, thats why i use the standalone Redream which works perfectly with my DC CHD's. The only issue is Redream doesnt support the WinCE games on DC yet so i have to use DEMUL still for those specific games. I would recommend checking out the standalone Redream, its a really good emulator and is updated all the time, you can also pay $5 dollars for the premium version which allows you to upscale the games, i am playing mine at 4K.

Just now, neil9000 said:

It might be a CHD version issue then, i know that none of my DC CHD's work with either of the Reicast cores. Also the Redream core in Retroarch is very outdated and wont be updated as it has gone closed source, thats why i use the standalone Redream which works perfectly with my DC CHD's. The only issue is Redream doesnt support the WinCE games on DC yet so i have to use DEMUL still for those specific games. I would recommend checking out the standalone Redream, its a really good emulator and is updated all the time, you can also pay $5 dollars for the premium version which allows you to upscale the games, i am playing mine at 4K.

Ok thanks. I'll try using the standalone and see if that works. 

1 hour ago, Bobsaidwzob said:

Thanks for your help. I ended up finding a way to get a cdi file out of it with discjuggler and the games seem to run fine. 

Great, although take into account that cdi format might get you trimmed fmvs or music tracks. I am not that knowledgeable about it, but it was discussed in one of the RA topics on how gdi is preferred over cdi. Nevertheless, glad you sorted it out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2018 at 5:14 PM, neil9000 said:

Unzip this and drop both files into your rom folder and run the bat. This is what i used to convert mine and it worked fine.

Cue_or_GDI_to_CHD.7z

Thanks for your link, neil.

For those who are trying to batch multiple games and are thick like me, you simply run these files in the folder root of your games, and it will search all subdir.  just make sure they are unzip'd.

Edited by bmonomad

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
5 minutes ago, Styphelus said:

What is the advantage of converting DC files from GDI to CHD? 

Hey Styph! Top of my head; considerably smaller size, and all the files GDI related (tracks, bins, etc.) packed into only one CHD for ease of handle. Be sure to convert them to CHD v5 and above, as v4 and below are not lossless and cannot be reverted back to GDI/ISO/bincue in case of need.