LaunchBox Community Forums

Controller Images

rkrick99

I was looking to see if there was a way to have it launch box show you the controller and button layout per game or system . I am planning to build a multi system arcade machine using different controllers. It would be nice to show  people what the buttons are to make game play easier, 

I am using an Autohotkey script. When i press a certain button on a spare controller it sends a pause command to Retroarch and changes to another overlay (the one with the controller).

Here's the script:

; Pause & Display Controller
4Joy20::
   SetKeyDelay, -1, 110
   Send {~}
   SetKeyDelay, -1, 110
   Send {p}
Return

I have setup the Retroarch configuration to use "~" to change to the next overlay and "p" to pause the game. I use two overlays - one with the controller & bezel and another with just the bezel. When i press button 20 on Joystick 4, Retroarch changes to the controller overlay and pauses the game. The next time i press this button Retroarch reverts to first overlay and unpauses the game. And so on...

Just another suggestion for the OP. If you're building a multi-system arcade machine, then you can have just the buttons used for that system/platform light up - this way you know what the buttons are. You can even have the system tell you what each button does on loading a game. This is using LEDblinky software. 

@Asparky  I like the images that you uploaded but have you seen version where it has the source PSD or graphics so can make alterations to button layouts?  They work in about 90% of cases “as is” for my Xbox One controller but there are a few tweaks prefer to make.  I am not great with Gimp and such but if had backgrounds and buttons could work it.  Thanks.