LaunchBox Community Forums

Listing games with multiple discs

mviars

Is there a way under lets say a consoles list of games like the PS1 to only show one listing of a game that has multiple discs then when selecting it then shows the game with the multiple discs. I tried using nesting but making sub categories or playilsts starts a new branch separate from the main game list so it does not shows games with multiple discs in the list with all the other games, I hope I explained in a way people can understand.

2 hours ago, mviars said:

Is there a way under lets say a consoles list of games like the PS1 to only show one listing of a game that has multiple discs then when selecting it then shows the game with the multiple discs. I tried using nesting but making sub categories or playilsts starts a new branch separate from the main game list so it does not shows games with multiple discs in the list with all the other games, I hope I explained in a way people can understand.

For my Legend of Dragoon game which is a ps1 game to stick with your example I have the entire game in it's own folder inside the folder where the rest of my ps1 games are. I don't use the standard launchbox folder setup so this isn't going to look exactly like yours but it'll give you the idea.

D:\Emulators\Playstation\Roms\The Legend of Dragoon

This way it only shows 1 copy of The Legend of Dragoon in LB but then if I right click on it there's the option for which disc I want to launch. I don't use BigBox so I don't know if there's a way to do it within the themes.

8 hours ago, voicesinthedark said:

For my Legend of Dragoon game which is a ps1 game to stick with your example I have the entire game in it's own folder inside the folder where the rest of my ps1 games are. I don't use the standard launchbox folder setup so this isn't going to look exactly like yours but it'll give you the idea.

D:\Emulators\Playstation\Roms\The Legend of Dragoon

This way it only shows 1 copy of The Legend of Dragoon in LB but then if I right click on it there's the option for which disc I want to launch. I don't use BigBox so I don't know if there's a way to do it within the themes.

Well I already did have all my games in separate folders but when importing into LB I had it search for all my .cue files to make the game list so it showed all games and Discs versions. I did however find the combine selected games options in the right click menu which does combine the games under one which gives me the right click and pick which disc of the game I want to load like you have but I would sure like to have a left click and show just that game with its disc versions to choose from. I will be switching to big box after I get it all setup in LB and I am not sure how this will be handled there yet.

If you are talking mainly PS1 I would look in to how to convert to .pbp files.  I’m sorry I would link you but am on mobile right now.

it is a pain in the ass if you have a huge library but what PSX2PSP converter does is takes your bin/cue files and makes them one .pbp file and also compresses it to save space.  Other thing it allows you to do is take multi disc games and make them one .pbp file.  

So say FFVII, four discs, four cues, four bins and around 3.X gigs. After running it through PSX2PSP I just one FFVII.pbp file and about 30% less in size.

It does take a long while and patients if you have a full set.  I’ve actually been slowing converting my full PS1 set over and think, come this weekend I will finally be done.  I Just do a hour or two a weekend. 

But very happy I did it.  

Just google PSX2PSP and I’m sure you’ll find it.  

Sooo if you condense 4 discs (or cue files) into one file how do you choose which file to play?

Are .pbp files even readable by ePSXe or pSX emulators? It doesn't show that as a readable file on the "Emulator setting for all platforms" thread.

Sounds like a PS1 iso to PSP file converter to me

Edited by mviars

First off the emulators settings for all platforms on the forums is seriously outdated and I wouldn't take that as any kind of definitive guide for what types of files emulators support here in 2018. PBP definitely works for PSX emulators but I'm not sure if ePSXe supports it I want to say it does but I'm not 100 on that. I know for a fact they work in RetroArch under the Mednafen cores.

I'm not sure if it works on ePSXe either sorry.  I was just wrongfully assuming you were using Retroarch.  PBP definitely works great using mednafen core.  Just got tired of dealing with all the bin/cue.

@damageinc86 Hey, I'm sorry.  I'll have to let you know what happens on a disk switch in a bit.  About to dive in to some of the RPGs this fall/winter.  Asked my brother who plays a lot of psx and he said if he is remembering correctly you either have to do nothing on a disc switch, or at the very least you need to go in to the Retroarch menu > Quick Menu > Disk Control.  Then you click Disk Cycle Trey Status, then put Disk Index at 2 (or whatever disc you are on) then Disk Cycle Trey Status again and you are good to go.  What is dome damageinc?

@mviars PS1 iso to PSP file converter?  what does that even mean?

10 hours ago, mcos87 said:

@mviars PS1 iso to PSP file converter?  what does that even mean?

It means that PSX2PSP was meant to be a file converter from PS1(Playstation 1) to PSP(Playstation Portable) hence the name "PSX2PSP".

However it would appear you are telling me that you can combine PS1 files into .pbp file that can be read with certain PS1 Emulators. Which is great and I do appreciate your help on trying to find a solution to my problem but this seems to be more for file organization than it would be title listing on LB. 

As I and damageinc86 said before I am a little worried about how the .pbp file handles the disk changes.I do not want to have to open retroarch to do it. Yes mcos87 please let us know how that works out when you get the chance as I am curious. Many thanks.

I think this is something that needs to be implemented in LB nesting maybe in an update unless its just something I am overlooking or doing wrong.

Edited by mviars