LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox not launching if run on a network drive/network share.

spark_plug

Hi,

I have launchbox installed on a computer with its folder shared on the network.
When try to run it on my second computer over the network, the initialization window opens for few seconds then nothing.

It only happens if I run it on the network. If I copy the launchbox folder and run it on a local disk, it works.
I tried with a clean launchbox install without any settings, same problem.

I checked in the windows event viewer and I have found two errors related :

Application: LaunchBox.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NotSupportedException
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoadFile(System.String, System.Security.Policy.Evidence)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFile(System.String)
   at DynamicClass.(<>c, System.Object, System.ResolveEventArgs)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Program+<>c.<Main>b__9_0(System.Object, System.ResolveEventArgs)
   at System.AppDomain.OnAssemblyResolveEvent(System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly, System.String)

Exception Info: System.IO.FileLoadException
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.App..ctor()
   at DynamicClass.(System.String[])
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Desktop.Program.Main(System.String[])

Faulting application name: LaunchBox.exe, version: 8.9.0.0, time stamp: 0x5bbe3bd1
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17134.319, time stamp: 0x1e206b26
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000003a388
Faulting process id: 0x2afc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d47af90f85a924
Faulting application path: X:\Emuxbmc\LaunchBox\LaunchBox.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 98f4c9f4-4de5-4a49-9648-8f51495c3e1e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I also attached a windows crash report.

Any ideas how to solve this? Thanks.

Report.wer

• 9 months later...
On 11/13/2018 at 5:15 AM, spark_plug said:

I couldn't find the post but it was indeed a permission problem. I added full control to the user "everyone" for the Share and NTFS permissions and it worked.

Thanks!

It's already a very old topic, but I am facing the same problem. I have no problems running LaunchBox from my local SSD, but when I try to start it from my mapped network share it hangs with the same error. So I was wondering where did you change these settings?

I am running a Synology NAS with a Shared Folder on which I have set the permission Read and Write to Everyone and I did the same for the 'NTFS' permissions for the LaunchBox folder on the share. Still no luck starting LaunchBox though. What did I do wrong?

Does anyone actually do this and get good results? I have a Windows Server and I can do this without making any tweaks but I just find the performance to be pretty terrible so I don't bother. I do however keep my ROMs on the server and use them on all my client PCs.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/29/2019 at 11:56 PM, Quaros said:

It's already a very old topic, but I am facing the same problem. I have no problems running LaunchBox from my local SSD, but when I try to start it from my mapped network share it hangs with the same error. So I was wondering where did you change these settings?

I am running a Synology NAS with a Shared Folder on which I have set the permission Read and Write to Everyone and I did the same for the 'NTFS' permissions for the LaunchBox folder on the share. Still no luck starting LaunchBox though. What did I do wrong?

im having same problem  and im using Synology NAS :(

have you found any solution ?

Edit : I found a fix :D 

here 

Edited by mhd4mhd

24 minutes ago, mhd4mhd said:

im having same problem  and im using Synology NAS :(

have you found any solution ?

Edit : I found a fix :D 

here 

Yeah it is possible to do, but i really would not recommend it. It would be much better to keep launchbox local and keep your roms on the NAS. Nas's are best for transferring/streaming/moving single files at a time, Launchbox will be accessing multiple files and folders at all times so the cpu and nic in the NAS needs to be able to handle all that data from different files and folders, and then also reliably supply that over your network. Unless its a actually PC being used as a NAS im going to say even good ones like synology are gonna struggle there.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Haven't tested much so far but this have fixed it to me at this time.

Security Warning When Opening Files from the Network Share

The warning window may appear when the program is launched from a shared network folder using the UNC path. This problem typically occurs for corporate users when accessing resources in another AD domain or by IP address. In this case, it’s easiest to add the name and/or IP address of the server hosting the executable file to the Local Intranet zone in the Internet Explorer settings. This will indicate that the resource is trusted. To do it:

1. Go to Control PanelInternet Option;
  2. Security tab;
  3. Open Local IntranetSitesAdvanced;
      IE Security: Local Intranet Zone settings
  4. In the next window, add a name and/or an IP address of a server. For example, \\10.0.0.6, \\srv.contoso.com or \\127.0.0.1\ for a local computer. You can use a wildcard character. For example, you can add all IP addresses of your local network to the Local Intranet zone using the following line:  file: //192.168.1.*. .Add websites to Local Intranet Zone
Edited by Light Sock
  • Like 1